• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone using the Phillips Hue Play Gradient lightstrip in their movie room?

iansilv

I am thinking about getting one of these- they seem to be really cool, I want to put it behind my TV. Any eon have any experience with these or any of the Hue Play lights that sync to the image on screen? Any compatibility issues with K?

Thank you

I have a room full of hue lights (including gradient strips). Works great with K and I think it adds to the movie experience. It can struggle with Dolby Vision and HDR10+, so outside of K you can run into incompatibilities.

We have 77" LG tv, my hue light is attached to back of tv, and I run it all the time at 30%. Highly recommend Hue.

I have a room full of hue lights (including gradient strips). Works great with K and I think it adds to the movie experience. It can struggle with Dolby Vision and HDR10+, so outside of K you can run into incompatibilities.
If all I care about is running it with K, will I have problems? Also, I was reading about how it is an older HDMI pass-through port or something, and this can hurt the picture- is this true? Do you lose any of the HDR picture on 4K?

I can’t promise you won’t have problems with K, but I can tell you with my HTP-1 and K, it handles HDR and syncs with no issues. I use the 2nd HDMI output of the AVP to the sync box, so there is no passthrough or image degradation possible (HDMI out 1 goes straight to the display).

I can’t promise you won’t have problems with K, but I can tell you with my HTP-1 and K, it handles HDR and syncs with no issues. I use the 2nd HDMI output of the AVP to the sync box, so there is no passthrough or image degradation possible (HDMI out 1 goes straight to the display).
OK so you are using the second output of your AV receiver to the hue sync box?

On a slightly related question, is it possible to synch up Hue lights to go down when the movie starts, partially up during intermission and credits and then fully up at the end of the show? This is the first lead I've seen that looks possibly promising.

On a slightly related question, is it possible to synch up Hue lights to go down when the movie starts, partially up during intermission and credits and then fully up at the end of the show? This is the first lead I've seen that looks possibly promising.
I think that will depend on your control system. As long as it interacts with the hue ecosystem it should work fine.

At present I'm just using an iPhone for K remote and Hue remote. K mentions Lutron integration, but that would require replacing all the lights. I'm wondering if there's some sort of If This Then That (ITTT) type programmable solution that doesn't require more integration boxes.

At present I'm just using an iPhone for K remote and Hue remote. K mentions Lutron integration, but that would require replacing all the lights. I'm wondering if there's some sort of If This Then That (ITTT) type programmable solution that doesn't require more integration boxes.
My low tech setup is just using my harmony remote. When I switch to K, it automatically starts my hue sync box. I mapped my pause and stop buttons to pause/stop and also to stop hue sync (the default behavior on my hue sync is to return to the previous scene when stopping sync-that brings the lights up) and my play button to start hue sync (Which sets everything back to synced lights).

We've so far determined that K does not use ITTT, but Lutron does, so we're looking into a basic Lutron panel. It gets triggered by K, and then we use ITTT to trigger Hue. Will update if this works.

Back