• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone know what DVD drive is in new Kscape (DVD) players ?

richard

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi All

I have an old 4 zone music player with a DVD drive that is getting dodgy. It is out of warranty and I really don't want to send it across the world to get a new DVD drive in it, when a DVD drive is ?20.

I looked in a newer K-5000 that didn't have the seal on it because its had a new power supply at some point, and that has a LG GDR-8164B which is no longer available....

Does anyone know what DVD reader Kaleidescape use in the newer players (such as KPLAYER-6000). The rest of my kit is on maintenance so I don't want to break the seal and have a look !!

Thanks

Richard

I sent you a PM Richard.

Jim

For others interest: -

KMUSIC-4000: Sony CRX320EE (drive manafactured date Nov 2005) (CD-R/RW/DVD-ROM) (52x CD, 16x DVD-ROM)
KPLAYER-5000: LG GDR-8164B (52x CD, 16x DVD-ROM)

I'm sure there's been different drives in each type of player over time, but just thought i'd post this to help anyone else.

I just took the Sony drive out, took it apart and cleaned the head with a cotton bud and some surgical spirit - now it works great.

I guess it had some sticky dirty on it that an ordinary cleaning disk wouldn't shift.

I also bought a couple of those LG GDR-8164B drives on eBay (new ones from USA) as I figured that for $50 its worth having them in the cupboard as they seem to be hard to get new in UK because people use them for copying WII disks :-(

Richard

Oops... I didn't realize that was the original question Richard started this thread with... but I'm still not sure if it got answered. I'm real interested in knowing because I too was thinking about picking up a spare drive for my k-player 6000's that are coming off warranty soon (just in case). From what others said in reply I'm guessing the the Kplayer-6000 uses the Sony CRX320EE or was that just the k-music4000 that uses that drive?

I think the Sony drive is older than the LG drive, so my guess is K6000 would use LG drive or later than that.

Given my KMUSIC-4000 now works fine, I won't be trying the LG drive in it just to see if it works though.

My K6000 is on warranty and fully working (in fact, just replaced) and sealed so I wont be looking inside.

Richard

Hi guys

Out of interest I have a K2000E reader which started to exhibit disconnection problems. It would get halfway through a dvd and lose connection with the server (however when I removed the cat5 cable and placed it in a M500 or K6000 it had no problems at all)?

I wonder if the cd-rom is to blame??

Pan.

2 different drives in the 1080p players?

I decided to watch a rental movie in the bedroom for the first time ever... Up till now, I've only viewed movies there which i've already imported. Being it was quite late, I had the volume at a low level, and I could hear the drive 'humming' over the quiet passages in the film... It was to the point that I actually had to rasie the volume to drown out the noise of the player.

Now I don't think there is anything wrong with the player, because it makes that level of noise when importing a disk, and I'm quite used to that, but the noise level was right up there just from playing from the tray that you would have thought I was importing a disk.

The next day, I tried the player in the family room, and it is indeed quieter, both in playback from the tray and when importing... the same with the player in the theater room.

Ironically, the 'nosier' player in my bedroom is the newest one I own. It's just over 1 year old. Out of curiousity I gently pulled down the door on the faceplate so I could see the front of the drive, and guess what... It's a different drive than in my other 2 1080p players? I know it is because it looks physically different (i didn't dare open anything because I have active warranties on all my players). I'm wondering if K started using a different drive manufacturer some time around early 2009 and they run a little nosier than previous 1080p players?

Was curious if anyone can confirm this, or has had a similar experience? I did a forum search for 'noisy' player, and there were a few posts about kplayer6000's where the fan was suspected as the culprit, but in my case I don't beleive there is actually anything wrong with the player... Its always been nosier when importing compared to the other 2 I own, but I never thought that it would be louder just playing directly from the tray... I'm a little OCD when it comes to my equipment, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has had a similar experience.

I can't confirm that but it makes sense that they will buy drives from whomever would give them the best overall deal.

They may also move to faster drives when available to cut down import times and give their customers a better experience although that might mean they don't look at volume of the drive mechanism when playing. As I don't import in the room where I watch, I don't pay attention to that either.

Back