• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Any way to delete inferior quality duplicate versions in one shot?

dla26

I had been purchasing content on the Kscape store in anticipation of my HT remodel. When the installer hooked it up, I was finally able to get it to start downloading everything. Unfortunately, since the installer hadn't yet set up the Lumagen and projector, the Kscape assumed my system couldn't do HDR so it downloaded the UHD version instead. I went back and downloaded all of the HDR versions, assuming it would just overwrite the UHD ones. But now that I look at it, it seems that I now have both versions of all of those movies (and a couple that are in HD since there was no UHD version).

I've been going through the movies one by one trying to delete the UHD versions, but I was thinking there must be some kind of clean up function that can do that for me.

Using your browser, go to your system:

Select your Movies list, then
Look for the Movies that have White arrow to the left of the title, this indicates multiple versions exist, then
Check the box on the left to select that Movie, then
Do that for all the Movies that have multiple versions, then
Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Select versions to delete.

All the movies you checked will be listed there with their versions. You select the version you want to delete for each movie and then delete.

It still takes time, but faster than doing one at a time.

Jim

Thanks for that, Jim

Been downloading both versions to compare as some I like the HDR, but others I prefer the UHD version on my projector.

Sorry for the noob question, but I always assumed HDR > UHD > HD > SD. Is that not necessarily the case?

Look for the Movies that have White arrow to the left of the title, this indicates multiple versions exist, then

All the movies you checked will be listed there with their versions. You select the version you want to delete for each movie and then delete.

Jim
Thank you for this! I'll go do that now!

Jim
Hmm... Not seeing any white arrows. I assume I'm supposed to go to My Movies, correct? I know I downloaded both versions of Blade Runner 2049, but it doesn't appear any differently from any other movies on the list.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    841.3 KB · Views: 14
I just sent you a private message.

Jim

For others that might be confused, the Movies list I referred to above is reached in your web browser, not the K Store.

Jim

I think I accidentally butt-replied! :) Also, for others that might be confused, by "web browser" @cinelife was referring to the site you see when you type in the IP address of your Kscape server. I assumed he had been referring to the My Movies section of the Kscape website on the web browser (as opposed to on the Strato itself.)

Sorry for the noob question, but I always assumed HDR > UHD > HD > SD. Is that not necessarily the case?
Generally I agree with that, but I know some people do not. I always go with HDR when available over other formats.

To expand a bit:

From @MikeKobb in another thread:
HDR badge: Movie is 4K, high dynamic range
UHD badge: Movie is 4K, standard dynamic range
HDR badge + UHD badge: Movie is 4K, and is available in both high dynamic range and standard dynamic range versions.

Why would we offer both HDR and SDR versions? Because many projectors will produce a better image with SDR material, since their light output is lower than flat-panel displays. Since we have many customers who use projectors, we make the SDR versions available when we can to serve them best, while offering HDR versions for those who view on flat panels or ultra-bright projectors.

In theory, yes, but HDR implementation in projectors varies, and some titles are just too extreme for a projector to display correctly. I've actually also been going through some of my titles and comparing HDR vs UHD. The Daniel Craig 007 films, 300, Goonies, and others are just too much for my projector (JVC X790R) to handle, since it's early enough that it has an HDR setting, but no tone mapping, and I don't have an external tone mapping device.

I posted this recently. It’s a short video (not mine). It explains HDR and how it is handled in display devices.

In some cases, an offline HDR to SDR conversion with multiple passes under an engineer’s supervision can give better results than HDR processing in real time.

Back