• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Any Rumors on ETA for 750G drives?

regwood

I know they exist and are starting to make their way to market. I haven't had my K since the 300G and 400G were out, so I don't have a sense as to the possible speed to implement the change.

It will take a while. They will have to undergo testing to make sure they work reliably and find out if there are any heat/noise/power issues.

maybe someone can remind me how the algorithm works for mixed-size drives in a server? I know people had to deal with this as they went from 250gb drives to 300gbs to 500gbs.

I have 8 500gb drives. Is it even worth it to fill the last 4 slots with 750gb drives or because of the RAID storage method, i won't get much benefit from the rest of the space above 500gb.

--josh

First off, they are not shipping 750gb drives right now.

That aside, the first 750gb drive would become your parity drive. You would get 500gb more storage. Each additional 750gb drive would net you 750gb of storage, so with 8 drives already, you have 3.5TB of storage. 4 more drives, all 750gb, would net you 2.75TB more storage space.

Of course, it isn't recommended to populate to 12 drives if you want to use a transport drive in the future. I purchased another server when I hit 11 drives in my server - one drive more wouldn't have held the rest of the DVDs I was going to have within the year so I bit the bullet sooner. With 2 servers, I might look at replacing 300GB drives with 750GB drives to increase storage - cheaper than buying another server and saves space, too.

Mr.Poindexter said:
Of course, it isn't recommended to populate to 12 drives if you want to use a transport drive in the future.
Thanks Mr. P.,

I forgot about that... but it raises a question.

When have they used transport drives in the past... trying to figure out if and why I'd need to keep a spot open.

Only case I think I've heard of is for people who didn't get the two Africa HD titles on their systems at purchase, then there was some way to get those on a transport drive, yes?

So holding open a spot for a transport drive is betting that Kscape will start releasing some more hi-def titles and will start sending around loaner transport drives to distribute them or something like that?

Have transport drives been used for anything else? Anyone hear of plans to use it for something?

I suspect/hope that support for blu-ray or HD-DVDs (someday) will obviate the need for transport drives, as it would be a far more efficient way to distribute... (yes, and then there's the obvious download model, but let's not open that can of worms just yet!)

--josh

lets say you buy an HD camcorder Josh, if you wanted to put the footage on the system, they can transfer it onto a Transport drive for you. And while there is no new HD content currently, if some is licensed and added to the mix, it will be sent to you via TD, and even the Digital Video Essentials program, they have it and the transfer may be done, so it will be distributed via TD.

Back