• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anamorphic Lens and Video Processor

The madVR Envy is great - improves the picture (especially with dynamic tone mapping, scaling, etc., etc.), but what I really like about is its auto aspect ratio switching. It switches ratio extremely fast. It's great for content with changing aspect ratio movies (Tenet, Top Gun: Maverick, Interstellar, etc.). Also great when using a streamer when switching content with different aspect ratios. The madVR Envy Pro is a lot cheaper than the madVR Envy Extreme, the latter is mainly for future upgradeability (but I decided to save my $$ and use the saved $$ for my own future upgradeability).

See this youtube video regarding automatic aspect ratio changing:

Last year, I was trying to decide whether to get a madVR Envy or an Anamorphic Lens, or both. I wound up getting the madVR Envy, and decided after I had my system setup that the picture was bright enough that I didn't need an Anamorphic Lens (anamorphic lens also increases resolution since you use all the lines, but most people notice the brighter picture much more than increased resolution). You can always get an anamorphic lens later once your system has been setup and you've used it a while. I wound up getting a madVR and decided I didn't really need an anamorphic lens in my setup.

The madVR Envy is great - improves the picture (especially with dynamic tone mapping, scaling, etc., etc.), but what I really like about is its auto aspect ratio switching. It switches ratio extremely fast. It's great for content with changing aspect ratio movies (Tenet, Top Gun: Maverick, Interstellar, etc.). Also great when using a streamer when switching content with different aspect ratios. The madVR Envy Pro is a lot cheaper than the madVR Envy Extreme, the latter is mainly for future upgradeability (but I decided to save my $$ and use the saved $$ for my own future upgradeability).

Last year, I was trying to decide whether to get a madVR Envy or an Anamorphic Lens, or both. I wound up getting the madVR Envy, and decided after I had my system setup that the picture was bright enough that I didn't need an Anamorphic Lens (anamorphic lens also increases resolution since you use all the lines, but most people notice the brighter picture much more than increased resolution). You can always get an anamorphic lens later once your system has been setup and you've used it a while. I wound up getting a madVR and decided I didn't really need an anamorphic lens in my setup.
The Aspect Ratio switching of the Lumagen Radiance Pro is instantaneous as of November 2022. The video you posted is older than that and so is misrepresentative of the Lumagen Radiance Pro's Aspect Ratio switching, though it may accurately represent the Envy.

I have a 2:40 Stewart AT scope screen with my JVC RS3000 with the Panamorph DCR driven by a Lumagen. AR changes are instantaneous since recent Lumagen firmware upgrades or I can lock in the ratio if I want to. The new remote makes those choices very easy. If you have a scope screen then locking the ratio to 2:40 works great for most content. Put me in the camp that thinks some of the directors have gone crazy with AR changes to the point of hurting their presentation. It might not be terrible on a 1.78 or 1.85 screen but on a 2:40 screen it is very distracting unless I lock in a preferred AR.

We have done the same.

The Aspect Ratio switching of the Lumagen Radiance Pro is instantaneous as of November 2022. The video you posted is older than that and so is misrepresentative of the Lumagen Radiance Pro's Aspect Ratio switching, though it may accurately represent the Envy.
Ah. I looked into the MadVR and Lumagen last Summer. Good to see Lumagen does that. Competition is always good!

And I'd love for a Lumagen or MadVR system that was scalable. All I want is tone mapping without having to build my own specialized PC to do it.

The last feature I'd request would be to stretch or squeeze the image to fit my screen. I almost understand it for VAR content, but I'd still rather just crop/mask the gimmicky top/bottom pixels when they come up. These films all play in 2.40 commercial cinemas, so there can't be much there that really matters.

I was shocked to find that these top dollar processors have started doing what everyone raged against years ago with the stretch and fill functions on TVs. What's next? Will they start making our movies look like soap operas for an additional $10K?

And I'd love for a Lumagen or MadVR system that was scalable. All I want is tone mapping without having to build my own specialized PC to do it.

The last feature I'd request would be to stretch or squeeze the image to fit my screen. I almost understand it for VAR content, but I'd still rather just crop/mask the gimmicky top/bottom pixels when they come up. These films all play in 2.40 commercial cinemas, so there can't be much there that really matters.

I was shocked to find that these top dollar processors have started doing what everyone raged against years ago with the stretch and fill functions on TVs. What's next? Will they start making our movies look like soap operas for an additional $10K?

I have a MadVR, and I never use it to stretch 16:9 content to 2.40:1. Most folks in MadVR Envy forums don't either (or won't admit it?). But to each their own.

I have a MadVR, and I never use it to stretch 16:9 content to 2.40:1. Most folks in MadVR Envy forums don't either (or won't admit it?). But to each their own.
It was odd that it was being used in a lot of CEDIA demos this year instead of showing off masking systems.

It was odd that it was being used in a lot of CEDIA demos this year instead of showing off masking systems.
It was definitely being 'sold as a valuable feature' when we were buying. The calibrator has set it to maximise the width for us every time but it doesn't appear to be set up to stretch every movie to that size from what we have seen. Thats working for us so far.

After listening to Richard give me a private MadVR sales pitch I pointed out that NLS feature he was excited about had been around on Lumagen for many years. He seemed taken aback that I knew MadVR didn’t really invent that feature as was being insinuated. The rest of his pitch and demo was more guarded. I think.NLS has a time and place but no way would I ever set it up to always fill my scope screen.

The madVR Envy can do both vertical and horizontal stretch and also the stretch area can be adjusted by the user.
AFAIK, this goes well beyond the capabilities of the Lumagen and therefore they call it NLS+.
So combining all this, the stretch can be fine-tuned to your liking.
However, i also agree, i wouldn´t use it for everything (in fact, i don´t use it at all at the moment) - but some people are really obsessed to use all of their screen real-estate all the time.

Just purchased MadVR Envy Extreme 2nd edition/version along with Sony 6000ES. Plan to get them installed early next week and am curious to see the NLS in person. I likely would not use it for any movies/shows in 16:9. However, I am interested in doing NLS for live sports for both single and multiview using a video tiler from AVPro Edge and the native YouTube that will be part of their Sunday NFL Ticket package. More to come...

I have a 14' wide Stewart Cinescope screen with the sides that slide in from 2.4 to 4:3 aspect ratio. I am an original aspect ratio luver and have no interest in using NLS, which is a feature I've had on my several Lumagens over the years.

As for whether to go with a taller, vs a wider 2.40 screen - this may well depend on your room dimensions. With limited room height you might only be able to fit in the widest but 2.40 aspect ration screen. With a taller ceiling you may be able to go 16 or 17:9 and mask bottom and top instead. Among other factors to consider.

Back