• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

SOLD: Alto 6tb

Rooster

Selling my 6tb Alto. Excellent condition, comes with remote and power brick. $1999 shipped. paypal add 3.6%.

I’m the second owner; I purchased it to get cheap storage but recently bought another terra so no longer need it

Attachments

• EEAC3435-172C-4959-8E7C-2AB169C4092D.jpeg
    EEAC3435-172C-4959-8E7C-2AB169C4092D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • A392A635-92F2-465B-8C91-DF92CCAAA295.jpeg
    A392A635-92F2-465B-8C91-DF92CCAAA295.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • E9448C69-2904-4402-A7BF-ABEEEA304623.jpeg
    E9448C69-2904-4402-A7BF-ABEEEA304623.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 10DFC581-0490-4C2F-8B26-28E0856B2412.jpeg
    10DFC581-0490-4C2F-8B26-28E0856B2412.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I'm curious where the market price of these will settle now that they are not needed or desirable as D2D machines.

They're still good storage and playback components for those Strato-Terra owners that buy SD and HD from the Store and would rather save the storage space on Strato/Terra for UHD/HDR content. Not trying to prop up the pricing, but Rooster's latest reduction is more than fair, and frankly lower than I would have expected (although market value is determined by the buyer). Rooster is trustworthy, for anyone wondering.

Jim

Exactly what I was thinking Jim - I'm half tempted for another location TBH

I'm hanging onto my Alto for a long time. I still have lots of physical Blu-rays that aren't available in the K store and lot of new ones being released nowadays, especially from boutique labels. I love having the K interface for watching my physical discs.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does an Alto 6TB do that an M300, or an M700 won't do in a Premiere system?
I have two K5000 Servers with 84TB's of storage.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does an Alto 6TB do that an M300, or an M700 won't do in a Premiere system?
I have two K5000 Servers with 84TB's of storage.

I’ll of course defer to Jim or anyone else more knowledgeable, but I don’t think an Alto would add much to that premiere system, other than perhaps provide access to the movie store

I’ll of course defer to Jim or anyone else more knowledgeable, but I don’t think an Alto would add much to that premiere system, other than perhaps provide access to the movie store
Premiere systems can access the movie store and download content. Just SD & HD though. No 4K or above.
Jim taught me this fact.

An Alto was the first product released by K that could only be used with the K Store. The internal storage (originally 4TB) was used only for Store downloaded content, it cannot "import" disc based content. The included optical drive was used for playing back physical discs only (DVD and BR), but also supported the "cataloging" process that proved ownership of disc based content which allowed the Store to offer D2D content discounts.

The Alto is limited to SD and HD Store based content because when it was designed 4K (UHD/HDR) was not available in the Store. The Alto was the first component in what became known as the "Encore" line, which later included the Strato player and then Terra when they became available. There are several models and storage capacities across the Strato and Terra lines, all of which added the ability to support 4K content when that resolution became available in the Store.

Alto remains an "Encore" component, and as such can be added to a Strato system. It CANNOT be added to a Premiere system. The only function an Alto has that is indirectly related to a Premiere system is the ability to pair with a Disc Vault (a Premiere component) to playback cataloged physical discs stored in the Vault. If an owner has both a Strato system and an Alto connected to a Vault, all of the cataloged discs stored in the Vault can be seen in the owner's movie list and can be selected for playback provided the owner is using a Co-Star to pair the Strato and Alto.

If an owner only has a Premiere system (no Strato system or Vault), then the Alto adds no additional benefit other than as a SEPARATE storage device for Store based SD and HD downloads. It would be treated as just another independent source to the display. The Store account would reflect two separate systems, one being Premiere, the other Alto, and playback would remain separate between the two systems. The Alto's ability to "catalog" would be redundant because the Premiere system already Catalogs whenever a new disc is imported.

Side note: I own the first Alto released by K, serial # 00000001. 😂

Hope that helps.

Jim

Last edited:
I’ll of course defer to Jim or anyone else more knowledgeable....

There are many posting here that are in that "more knowledgeable" category! :ROFLMAO:

Jim

How does it hook up to stato s? Does the software automatically send hd stuff there and 4k stuff to the strato? Confused

So i looked up the co-star? Looks like its almost $700 for that itself to have it work with my strato. Hmm
you wouldn’t need a co-star for the alto to work with a strato- they are both encore.

as to how to send movies where, when you buy a movie, you direct which player you would want to send it to.

you wouldn’t need a co-star for the alto to work with a strato- they are both encore.

as to how to send movies where, when you buy a movie, you direct which player you would want to send it to.
i think your wrong ( im not an expert) the Alto , to wotk with a strato s or C would need a co star or a lumagen with a licence unless your happy with two networks (as i have) 2x cinema ones and one Alto with a DV700 Vault.

i think your wrong ( im not an expert) the Alto , to wotk with a strato s or C would need a co star or a lumagen with a licence unless your happy with two networks (as i have) 2x cinema ones and one Alto with a DV700 Vault.

I think that because the cinema one is part of the premiere lineup, while the Alto is encore (as is strato/terra)

Back