• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alien director cut vs theatric and aspect ratio

giri

When I click on download on Alien, it downloaded two versions director edition and theatric edition. What is the difference? Also, the aspect ratio shows 2.40 for hdr, but on Amazon it is 1.78. I like to have 2.40 and happy. How come it is different?

Directors edition cut has more footage, where theatrical is how it was originally shown at the theatre.

If your question regarding Theatrical vs. Director's cut is asking what the specific differences are between those two versions of Alien, I don't have that answer because I've never done a direct comparison. If your question is more a general question regarding theatrical vs. Director's cuts, that's easy, the Director's cut is the version created using the Director's vision for the movie based on the script and the talent involved in the film. The "theatrical" version is what is actually released to theaters, and is normally influenced by the Studio inputs which may require changes based on the likes or dislikes of the Studio Exec's, or ordered by the Studio based on comments derived from private pre-release screenings of the movie.

Jim

Not sure where you're seeing it say 1.78:1 on Amazon, but I'm also only in the browser. I happen to have Alien in my Movies Anywhere, and the file itself is 1.78:1 (16:9), but the actual movie presentation is 2.39:1 as it should be. It just has black letterbox bars burned into the file.

Thanks for the explanation of different editions. I recently bought extended editions of Hobbit and lord of rings. It seems director's cut is similar to it but no need to pay extra like Hobbit. I bought today Alien and it automaticlaly downloaded two versions. This is the first time I am seeing in my collection. I will play and see each one.

1695914553524.png

Ah, the blu-ray listing. Not sure why it's listed that way there, but all physical media are encoded at 1.78:1 by default with letterbox bars burned into the file on wider aspect ratios.

Blu-ray.com is a better source for accurate data.

Thanks for the explanation of different editions. I recently bought extended editions of Hobbit and lord of rings. It seems director's cut is similar to it but no need to pay extra like Hobbit. I bought today Alien and it automaticlaly downloaded two versions. This is the first time I am seeing in my collection. I will play and see each one.

View attachment 4091
After you figure out which version you like better, you can always delete the other one and save yourself some Terra space.

After you figure out which version you like better, you can always delete the other one and save yourself some Terra space.
Well, delete them both and re-download the one you prefer. Maybe you can recover just one from the trash, but I'd plan on taking the long road.

Back