• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Advice on prospective setup

Doseman

Since as everybody, Im expecting a blu-ray player from Kaleidescape this year, I wanted your advice if the following setup was possible for a 5 bedroom villa:

K Music 4000 - To act as a music server for 4 zones and to upload dvd's to the server

2 KPlayer 300 - To play content from the Kserver to two tv's

Im trying to avoid purchase of the main K6000 dvd player so that I can purchase the blu ray player when it releases. Is this advisable? I was hoping the k music player could handle the dvd uploading for the meantime. The house is automated with Crestron.

Hi. Yes the K4000 will import your movies but as you know will not play any video as they don't have a video output.

thats fine, im planning to play video only in two locations now and figured two Kplayer 300 would suit this fine. I thought once the blu player releases i can add a third video connection. This way I can save a little by avoiding a K6000 purchase as I already have KMusic 4000 in the spec list.

You didn't mention the purchase of a Kserver, but I assume you know you need one. Sounds obvious, but the reason I'm pointing it out is that you say you want your Kmusic 4000 to "act as a music server". It's not a server, it's a 4-zone player. You still need a Kserver.

Another suggestion - if you really want to save money until the BR players come out, you might consider buying used movie players instead of the 1080p miniplayers. While you won't get full 1080p, the older players that do 1080i have very impressive upscaling... you might find that 720p or 1080i output from these is excellent, certainly good enough for the period before you upgrade your players for BR.

Used 1080i players are plentiful, including here on the forum from knowledgeable owners and dealers. just something to consider.

--josh

Can I ask why you want the BlueRay so badly? Do you have any equipment that can really benefit from Blue Ray? If you do not have a sound system that can take advantage of the lossless audio formats there is little advantage to blue ray that makes it worth investing in a whole new movie library. The video on the 1080 player is great. and I assure you that DVD is going nowhere any time soon. This is before you acount for the fact that a dual layer BR disk can be 10 times that Data of an average DVD... One other thing worth noting is the mini player get very hot...

DVD cant hold a candle to the resolution or color depth advantages BR offers. Yes, it requires more space and DVD is often good enough. But if you have a 50+ display you will probably appreciate the resolution advantage and on any HD display you will surely appreciate the color depth advantage.

The answer is it depends on his setup. But even on a smaller HD display you will still get the better color and contrast ratio.

Back