• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Advanced filters in K-Store search

SimonSays

Can we get some more filters to search? The current selection is not useful.

1. For Video Quality, allow selecting upper limits too. For example, I want to find all movies where the best available video is HD.
2. Era / year of release: If I want to find movies from the '30s or '40s, for example.
3. Search for series of movies. There's a filter for "James Bond" right now, but what if I wanted to find everything related to the "Middle Earth" movies, or all the Batman movies, which are part of various studio releases, but "Batman" as a search doesn't bring up the "The Dark Knight" movies.
4. Allow searching on country. Are there any movies out there from other countries?
5. Allow searching on subtitle and audio language. My GF'd mother doesn't speak English well, so having subtitles or audio languages in her language is a plus!

Pretty much, if there'd be an advanced search where we can filter on any of the meta data with operators like "<, >, =", that would be great :)

Our little search box is a bit more advanced than it seems. While the hint text in the box tells you that you can "Search by Title or Name", you can actually search by other parameters. Enter a genre in that field and you'll get not only movies (or actors) that match the word you entered but also the genre collections (separated by movie and TV). If your keyword matches a collection that our content operations team has created, you'll get that as well.

Couple that with the filter bar options (Video Quality, Audio Quality, Unowned, etc), and you've got a pretty powerful search even without creating an "Advanced Search" interface.
How about every movie from the '40s that is maximum in HD (so not HD plus UHD plus HDR) and has an Atmos track...

AFAIK, all the UHD and HDR titles also have an HD version. So I am having problems understanding the use case for just HD.

John

AFAIK, all the UHD and HDR titles also have an HD version. So I am having problems understanding the use case for just HD.

John
They don't all have an HD version(e.g. the demo files by Trinnov), but it's just an example. In my case, I want to focus my buying on HD only movies mostly, as I only have an Alto at the moment. Yes I can buy HDR content and download the HD version on the Alto, but with 500 movies on my wish list, while I save up for a new Strato + Terra, I want to filter out "Best video quality = HD" :)

With the amount of metadata and classification in your library, it's a bummer users can't use that to search the catalog in detail... Hence, advanced filters.

"All movies from the 1940s under 100mins in black and white, from the UK, with DTS-HD sound"

Advanced search is how people can find new movies they hadn't heard of. Not everyone is just waiting for the next Maverick or Bullet Train to come out :)

If the reason to do the HD only is to minimize cost you can do HD or better and sort by “Lowest Cost”.

I understand, however, the idea of having more search options to narrow the search. The more options the better!

John

With the amount of metadata and classification in your library, it's a bummer users can't use that to search the catalog in detail... Hence, advanced filters.

"All movies from the 1940s under 100mins in black and white, from the UK, with DTS-HD sound"

Advanced search is how people can find new movies they hadn't heard of. Not everyone is just waiting for the next Maverick or Bullet Train to come out :)
I guess part of that is does the current logic accept AND/NOT/OR operators? Don't think so the last time I tried (probably got dropped as common/short words,) as it doesn't even seem to want to do phrases.

I guess part of that is does the current logic accept AND/NOT/OR operators? Don't think so the last time I tried (probably got dropped as common/short words,) as it doesn't even seem to want to do phrases.
True. I'd be happy even with a cheat-sheet where one could use keywords in the URL (I often do so on car search websites).

On a personal level, I'm with you all. I, too, would like a comprehensive set of filtering options and search modifiers to allow me to really narrow down the focus of searches on the store.

The filter bar options on the store used to be significantly more comprehensive than they are now. Unfortunately, our analytics and our Support requests showed that:
a) virtually no-one used the majority of the filter options available
and
b) the options left a large number of customers overwhelmed and confused.

Thus, they were simplified.

On a personal level, I'm with you all. I, too, would like a comprehensive set of filtering options and search modifiers to allow me to really narrow down the focus of searches on the store.

The filter bar options on the store used to be significantly more comprehensive than they are now. Unfortunately, our analytics and our Support requests showed that:
a) virtually no-one used the majority of the filter options available
and
b) the options left a large number of customers overwhelmed and confused.

Thus, they were simplified.
Why not have a button for advanced search, like they do on so many sites? For most searches the normal search option is fine, but I kinda like having the option to filter more, when I want it

Back