• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Adding Terra Server? To Strato S, Alto & Disk Vault Question.

It would be, but having just been through this myself, I can tell you that on a Gigabit Internet connection, doing a content restoration is likely faster. Replication goes through the same software path as disc import, and it is not as optimized for speed as current-generation Terra downloads are. If the Internet connection is slower, or you have data caps, then absolutely, replication would be the way to go.

pickle28, if you are going to go the re-download path, then what I'd suggest is that you set up your Terra initially as a separate, standalone system. When you do, during the activation process on the web, it will ask you if you want to populate the server with the same content as your other system. You can just say yes and it will download all the same content in all the same versions. If you're going to use the Strato and Alto at least temporarily with the new Terra, then you can wait for the Terra to finish downloading, then delete the content from your other components and then move them into the Terra's system.

BINGO! That’s the magic answer right there. I have Gig internet and I like the idea of still having my system up while I populate the Tera with my content. That’s exactly what I will do. So you can have 1 account with multiple systems. That’s the trick. Thanks for the recommendation!

Excellent, glad that was helpful info. Yes, you can have up to five systems on an account.

The only collection I created is movies on my system that I haven’t seen and it’s a smal selection.
Off topic but:

Pro-tip: There's a system created collection called "Watch Soon" which, unlike most other collections, will remove any movie in it once you have watched it. Thus, you can use it as your "Movies I've Never Watched" collection as long as you remember to add the movie to that collection once you download/catalog/import it.

Pro-tip2: The "New" system collection behaviour was recently updated so that it only contains movies you haven't watched. Once you watch a movie, that movie is moved into a new "Played" collection. However, there's a caveat. Only movies you've watched _after_ your system upgraded to kOS 10.11.0 will have moved automatically. So you might need to use the browser interface movie list to manually move any of your older titles into the "Played" collection. Once you've done that, you can use the "New" collection as your list of "Movies I Haven't Watched Yet".

Re: Pro tip 2: If your entire collection isn’t local, “New” will also include any offline title that you have recently added back to your local collection - even though you may have seen it before. For that reason, I catalog all movies I haven’t yet watched as “Watch Soon,” and don’t really use “New” (other than to categorize recently added titles.)

Last edited:
Okay... little update here.

Got the Terra, created another system. I can hit the link below that says view another system.

It's been activated but never asked about populating the old existing content and I can't see it anywhere. I did use a different email address to set it up so I'm not sure if that confused things.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.52.40 PM.png

That's the problem. You have to use the same email address so that it's associated with your existing account. Otherwise, you will not be able to load any of your content onto it. Just deactivate it and activate it again with your existing store email.

Back