• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Adding a Server

seaninde

Hi All,
Quick question on adding a server to my current mix.

Current setup is:
3U server
3 - M300 Players
1 - M500 Player
Co Star Switch
M700 Disc Vault
StratoS 6TB Server/Player

I am using the vault for a lot of Blu-Ray discs I have.

Slowly been replacing those with Disc to Digital downloads when they come out in 4K, but the Strato is only so big, so I am selective.

My question is, can I just add another server to the mix (Strato/encore) by plugging it into my network?

If I download a movie, how would it know which Strato to go to?

Would the content play though the Strato S player I have? or would I need another player?

Thanks!
Sean

Yes, you can add additional storage to your Strato-S system by adding Terra servers (or additional Strato's with storage), and yes, you add the Terra (or Strato with storage) to your current Strato system.

UHD/HDR content by default will download to the Terra server.

Yes, your current Strato-S will work exactly as it does now for playback, the only change is that it will also be accessing the Terra for content stored on the Server. You do not need another Strato player unless you want to support another display.

Jim

I’d add that if you don’t need another player, definitely opt for a Terra as it has more “under the hood” including the ability to get much closer to Gigabit downloads (assuming your internet service supports these speeds).

When I added my Terra, HDR downloads went from taking about an hour to the Strato, to now taking roughly 10 minutes (on Xfinity Gigabit at the home).

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can add additional storage to your Strato-S system by adding Terra servers (or additional Strato's with storage), and yes, you add the Terra (or Strato with storage) to your current Strato system.

UHD/HDR content by default will download to the Terra server.

Yes, your current Strato-S will work exactly as it does now for playback, the only change is that it will also be accessing the Terra for content stored on the Server. You do not need another Strato player unless you want to support another display.

Jim
Thanks. Can I still download 4K content to the StratoS I have that still has space since you said by default it goes to the new Terra server?
Sean

I’d add that if you don’t need another player, definitely opt for a Terra as it has more “under the hood” including the ability to get much closer to Gigabit downloads (assuming your internet service supports these speeds).

When I added my Terra, HDR downloads went from taking about an hour to the Strato, to now taking roughly 10 minutes (on Xfinity Gigabit at the home).

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just have Xfinity Blast, but that currently gets me 850-900 mbps.

Don't know if there is a better way, but if you turn off the Terra and start a download, it should download to the Strato.

Thanks. Can I still download 4K content to the StratoS I have that still has space since you said by default it goes to the new Terra server?
Sean

Unless the software changed something recently, I think @ht guy has the right answer.

Jim

Sean
There are two homing priorities you would need to fight against, so shutting off the Terra would be the only way to get more content on the Strato before it's filled.
  1. Terra > Strato with storage
  2. More free space > less (6T is as small as any storage device comes, so you would be guaranteed to have at least as much free space on the Terra)

Back