• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Add 1U Server w/failed drive to Setup

andrej770

Quick question, I have a 1U server and 5 players. A gentleman where I live unfortunately fell on hard times and was liquidating his home automation & theater system; I bought them. I got the server home and immediately plugged it into the network to see if I could see it show up in the KScape Webpage and get updated. The servers #1 drive (all the way to the left), had an orange light and the webpage stated that the drive had failed. I have two spare 750GB drives from my 1TB upgrade of my original system. I put one in and it also went orange. I then took the drive out and just left the server be and it showed up on the webpage with all the other components but with the alert about the failed drive.

Since this new server was supposedly wiped clean, and I have two spare 750GB drives, can I just use one of those to replace the 750GB drive that is bad and start fresh with that server?

Thanks in advance,

You can only use the old drives if they have been reinitialized by K. Once a drive is installed in a Server, it is identified with that Server. It will NOT work in another Server. So...your old 750's will not work (which is why they are Amber), until you send them to K.

Jim

Thanks, so since this is a completely unused server, I have 3 other 750gb drives in it. It's not usable in that state at all since it had 4 originally? I'd like to send my spare 750's to get reinitialized for use and just add them to the server later, but it be up and operational while I wait for their return. What are my options?

Thanks,

The 1U does not have "hot spare" capability. If you lose a drive the Server should not be used until you replace the failed drive and allow the RAID to rebuild the content. A second drive failure now, while you already have a bad drive, will cause a complete loss of content. If there is no content to lose, then obviously that's not an issue, but then neither is "playback" ability.

A new drive from K would identify with the 1U once it is installed. Used drives that have not be reinitialized by K identify with the Server they came out of and will not work in any other Server until they are reinitialized.

After you reinitialize the disks you currently have, those can be used in the Server as replacements, when needed. (Reinitialization costs approx. $250 for up six disks, and current policy requires the disks to be under warranty to be reinitialized.) You can also speak to your dealer about getting a refurbed disk to replace an out-of-warranty disk. These cost $250.

Jim

Just on reinitializing discs, I suspect you won't be able to invalidate your 750's as these would be too old now. Kaleidescape won't invalidate a disc older than 2 (or is it 3?) years. You can however exchange a 750 GB disc (even a failed disc) for another of the same type, or a better option would be to exchange your server/discs for a reconditioned server with new discs. A 1U fully loaded with 2Tb or 3Tb drives is a much better option in today's blu-ray environment, plus they run cooler and you have warranty peace-of-mind.

Just to elaborate on what Jim said above, drives can be migrated between 1U servers as long as you keep them together as a set. They don't care which server they live in as long as they stay together as a family...if one drive fails it can be replaced with another of the same or larger capacity as long as the replacement disc hasn't been previously married to another file system.

....meaning, for example, I have a four 750Gb disc file system that is surplus to requirements. If you were to buy these from me it would work in your server.

Back