• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

About K

bogdandr

Hi, new to Kaleidescape, having a 12 years red dwarf fixed on my brain regarding the way Kaleidescape GUI looks and works.
Red dwarf activate itself recently when someone promise me an old premiere setup : Vault, Server, M300 (will reach my location next days).
As I am fascinated by the K GUI - I said that it's great for my old DVD collection, period.
Then the red dwarf remind me that we have finished a nice cinema room for a customer that might like this ideea too and I bought for him a brand new Cinema One Grandfathered from eBay (thinking my customer will be happy to organise and watch his DVD old movies collection in such manner).
Of course we have other solution for movie playback.. but the red dwarf strike.
I just start understanding what terms (GRANDFATHERED) mean, and maybe I will be surprised seeing that Cinema One will not be able to rip and play the DVD movie collection : >. Still not clear but will discover today.

1. As a first question - Is it possible to rip personal discs with video records in the K server (to have them digitally organised) or the system will only import original discs?
2. To be up to date (4k + ) I am wondering if Strato movie player 6TB can work in Europe - mostly interested about the offline content - what will be the configuration in which Strato can get offline content? And what kind of content can be imported?
Local language subtitles are a problem in being happy with an exclusive online content.
3. Will a Strato be able to deliver superior video quality in comparison with an existing setup MADVR + Zappiti Player?

Thank you.

1. No
2. None
3. Not the primary reason to get K, but in some instances, yes.

1. Your question indicates (implies) you are asking if K's Premiere line can provide bookmarking for personal discs, and ht guy's answer is correct in that regard. You can add personal discs (family movies,etc.) to a Premiere system (Grandfathered or not), BUT, you will NOT get any K bookmarking support (obviously) so you will have to edit the disc details yourself, including adding your own "cover" pic, otherwise the disc will show as unrecognized.

2. No offline content support. There is no optical drive in the Strato players, they receive all content from an online connection (but can playback a physical DVD (not Blu-ray, not 4K) if connected to a Vault.

3. At the higher-end levels of playback quality among devices, K is still considered to be the leader in video quality. That said, video quality from a viewing perspective is to a large extent subjective given the limitations and inherent differences of the human eye and brain. Measurements analyzed by experts with the proper equipment (like Kris Deering) will provide a technical reading of quality, but in the end it still comes down to what we personally see in our systems, and this is affected by many components in the video chain, not only the equipment you mentioned, but obviously the display as well. This supports the point made by ht guy in his answer to your question.

Jim

One other point, video always looks better when we spend a lot of money to produce the image, I can "see" that every time I spend more for a new projector. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Regarding the quality thing, don't spend all that cash on K just expecting "better" quality. It's potentially there, but it's not probably that tangible. Buy K because you are effectively guaranteed the peace of mind that you have the best possible quality source on top of all the convenience, access, integration, and other platform benefits of the system.

@cinelife has it pegged in his comment above. :)

One other point, video always looks better when we spend a lot of money to produce the image, I can "see" that every time I spend more for a new projector. :ROFLMAO:

Jim
:)) you made a good point, this is an absolute truth.

My setup is a JVC NZ8, SI Slate 1.2, MK Sound powered by Cinenova 7 and Acurus Muse, and step by step I try getting the best of it.(I believe there is a lot of room for optimisations)
Current video source is a Zappiti Reference. (and PS5 for Netflix and othres)
Kaleidescape is the old dwarf as I have mentioned, and can satisfied my need in regarding the DVD library (which of course can stay into Zappiti library ..but is not Kaleidescape :> ).
From this point, for a better image I was thinking what is the best next step I can do - going with a Strato (I have in mind one with 6TB storage), or getting a MADVR for Zappiti and all other existing video sources (we have one MADVR recently installed in our showroom and is not bad at all )

You certainly have a premium level system that K is an easy decision. Easy for me to spend your money on it, anyway. :) Get the K and add the MadVR later. You'll be at the pinnacle of a top video chain along with the NZ8.

You certainly have a premium level system that K is an easy decision. Easy for me to spend your money on it, anyway. :) Get the K and add the MadVR later. You'll be at the pinnacle of a top video chain along with the NZ8.
Well, I will call it just extreme hobby, all the time jump from one device to another with small steps so it looks less expensive : ))
But I learn that expensive pieces are quite complicated to resell them in order to upgrade. So I try to optimise the directions :)

My main concern regarding Strato is the way I can add content inside - not clear if Vault or Cinema One can put the RIP disc inside the Strato or if Strato can read from the C1 storage or the Server that comes with Vault (not sure yet what models are vault and server, they are on the way - I attach a photo of them).

Attachments

• vault.jpg
    vault.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
My main concern regarding Strato is the way I can add content inside - not clear if Vault or Cinema One can put the RIP disc inside the Strato or if Strato can read from the C1 storage or the Server that comes with Vault (not sure yet what models are vault and server, they are on the way - I attach a photo of them).
No, all the other devices you got are in the Premiere (legacy) line, while a Strato is in the Encore (current) line.. They do not talk directly, but can be married to coexist.

You cannot import/rip content to the Encore line. Downloading from the K-store is the only option without playing from the disc-in-vault option Cinelife mentioned in his first post.

No, all the other devices you got are in the Premiere (legacy) line, while a Strato is in the Encore (current) line.. They do not talk directly, but can be married to coexist.

You cannot import/rip content to the Encore line. Downloading from the K-store is the only option without playing from the disc-in-vault option Cinelife mentioned in his first pos

I try again maybe there is a possibility to add content :>. Well that is clear thank you.

So regarding coexistence, Strato is able to play shared library of Cinema One and can play BD discs existing in the C1 optical drive
(as for the Vault and server looks clear)

Back