• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A Clone

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question regarding scrolling speeds and how they work with the remote. I am wondering if there are infinite sets of speeds depending on how quickly your press the button or if there are two speeds, a button press and a button hold? If you need more information or this doesn't make sense then let me know and I will try and clear it up a bit.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi there.

Just read this with great interest. Looking through your posts it seems you are not interested in sharing the source code as to how you made that interface, but I wondered whether you could provide some guidance/links/anything as to how you made it?

cheers,
JT

Hi there.

Just read this with great interest. Looking through your posts it seems you are not interested in sharing the source code as to how you made that interface, but I wondered whether you could provide some guidance/links/anything as to how you made it?

cheers,
JT

Hey JT,

One of the things I have thought of is making video tutorials of how to code something similar to this (not this one exactly), but something that would give you the skills to create this yourself if you wanted. I would teach you how to set up a database, how to write a program to automatically rip your movies when your system detects a movie in your dvd-player, how to embed vlc and anything else you might need. If enough people leave interest in wanting tutorials (possibly paid tutorials) then I will think about creating them. That said, if you ever have any questions for me I will always answer with the best of my knowledge. I love to help out fellow developers and do-it-yourselfers.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

My current media server is an ubuntu box and now lots has been ripped to it, it primarily just sits as a simple server (NFS shares to an xbmc box) and i'm keeping my eye out on the used market for kaleidescape systems, but they're still pretty darn pricey - worth it thought IMO.

But for the sheer entertainment factor, I'd love to be able to put together something similar.

What backend db does it use?
what tool(s) did you code the GUI in?

Happy to discuss something further re: video tutorials. Are you a developer by trade?

thanks for the swift reply,
JT

Jt,

I wrote my own backend database. What happens is when you put a dvd in, it will get all the information for you while ripping your movie to your hard drive. You can also just pick a movie and get the information for it if it already exists on your hard drive. The program is written with WPF using C#. I am a developer by trade and this has been a project I've wanted to do on my free time for quite some time and I'm finally getting around to doing it. Ideally at the end, it will function identical to kscape. Would video tutorials be something you would be interested in?

-Andrew

Hi.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in seeing some tutorial vids, so long as the cost isn't prohibitive, maybe I could offer you something in return? (think automation stuff) though maybe take that bit to PM?

But in short, yes, i'd be interested in learning more.
JT

RE: I am intersted

Thanks for letting me know you're interested Bart. I will be coming up with a plan for doing video tutorials on DIY media players. Stay tuned for more information.

-Andrew

Thanks for the post rocknron. Check back soon as I will be posting a new video in the next couple of days showing my new update with TV shows working.

TV Shows up and running

I finally had some time to sit down and code away on my application. I have finished TV shows with 3 ways to watch them, Play All Episodes, Resume Current Episode or selecting an individual episode. Let me know what you think. Thanks Everyone.

Pretty freakin' amazing.

Awesome!

I would like to see how many more people are interested in this to see if it's worth my time to make them.

I would also be very interested in learning more about your wonderful accomplishments.

Scott

Automation

It would be good to look at the control of this too. To be able to use touch panel and get full 2way control.

...I am still interested in participating in your project.

Last edited:
Hi.

Any progress on this?

I'm just building myself a new passively cooled HTPC as I picked up some parts for a great price, unsure about xbmc or windows & your setup ...

So anything you can offer would be appreciated ;)

Hi there, I just watched all 5 of your video's on u-tube, your doing a fine job keep it going, it's looking very interesting.

Back