• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A Clone

aphanson17

Hello Everyone,

I am currently making a clone of Kaleidescape for my HTPC. I have posted a video of it [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKSiOktaaAM"]Kaleidescape Clone - YouTube[/nomedia] . Please let me know what you guys think. Remember though, I've only been working on it for a couple days so it's still in the very very early stages. There is still a lot to do. If any of you would be interested in the software when it is complete, let me know.

Andrew

hmmm... well as much as I support new products and services in this space, it's pretty bold of you to just come right out and say you're copying the Kaleidescape interface lock, stock and barrel... using their name in the description.

Personally, I'd recommend you consider making your own take on an interface for browsing movies, and I wouldn't recommend you continue using their name on your website and youtube videos. By labeling it a clone of Kaleidescape (and by directly copying their interface down to the colors and styles), you may well limit the level of success you may ever have with it as they could have several legal claims against you.

But, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't work for Kaleidescape... and I do love the spirit of INNOVATION with things like this. Hope you decide to innovate the UI too. Personally, I think there are many ways to improve on the Kaleidescape interface with a fresh rethink.

Good luck Andrew,

--josh

I think you have have the wrong idea of what this is. This is not a piece of software meant for resale or distribution at all. This is just a homemade personal program I am writing for myself. I am not interested in selling this software or giving it to anyone. I love kaleidescape's interface and product all around. I would purchase one if I could come anywhere close to affording it. Since I can't, I decided to make my own and was just getting peoples opinions on what they thought. If I ever decide to make something original for distribution it won't be anything like kaleidescape. This is just a fun project for me to do.

Ah, you're right. I misunderstood that you were making a commercial clone product.

Seeing something you like but can't afford, and deciding to create your own version of it is pretty cool. And there's no denying you've been able to get a big core part of the UI up and running with remarkably similar look and feel. Not easy.

Given your real intent, it's pretty cool... keep us up-to-date!

--josh

Update

Hey Guys,

Over the past couple days I have got to work a lot on my project. I have thrown a new video up with my latest progress that you can check out right here

Let me know what you think.

What are you using for your data provider? Also- you have to get the font perfect and the look of the menus down. Pretty cool.

Looks great. Very nicely done.

That said, I *personally* find the cover-art view to be the one I use the least. It's what I use to show off my system, but I hardly ever *use* it. Collections is what I use most, and list view if I want to browse. I think being so "old school" as far as being a long time computer user back when terminals were king makes me like to see lists. But the world is moving toward more of a "thumbnail" view of things, so this is pretty cool.

What's your plan as far as the other views? Going to mimic them, too?

Unless Kscape has figured out some software patents on some of this UI, my guess is outside of using the *name and logos* there's nothing wrong with cloning the interface and giving it away or even selling it. I'd investigate the patent thing before I did that, but otherwise I can't think of much that could be an issue.

Oh, and don't even name your project something close to kaleidescape. Even that can get you in trouble.

--Donnie

@JerryL - Thanks.

@Donnie - Thanks for the information on what you use with your system, it helps me understand what real users like and dislike about the system. I do plan to mimic the List View for sure and possibly even collections. It has been a fun project for me and I have learned a lot so far. I will be sure to continue and update this thread as I add more features. Thanks for everyone's feedback!

-Andrew

Hey Everyone,

I got a quick question for you guys who own a Kaleidescape. What does the UI look like if you only have a few titles imported (say 4 or 5 titles). Does it just load them all a bunch to maintain the infinite scrolling layout or do you just see the 4 or 5 on the screen to choose from?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hey Everyone,

I got a quick question for you guys who own a Kaleidescape. What does the UI look like if you only have a few titles imported (say 4 or 5 titles). Does it just load them all a bunch to maintain the infinite scrolling layout or do you just see the 4 or 5 on the screen to choose from?

Thanks,
Andrew

It repeats them and staggers the covers to give a better appearance. So for example, if you have three titles, it will line them up in a row and then repeat that row left to right, and stack the row repeatedly but staggered so that title 1 in row two is over title 2 in the row below, etc.

Update

Hey Everyone,

I've been a little busy but I finally got around to working on my project again. Let me know what you think.

Here is the 4th version with the movie playing options working. Next will be to resume the movie, fast forward, pause and all that good stuff.

. . . .I *personally* find the cover-art view to be the one I use the least. It's what I use to show off my system, but I hardly ever *use* it. Collections is what I use most, and list view if I want to browse.
I am the EXACT same way.

Back