• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

5u to 3u Upgrade Experience

paulc

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
KScape 5u to 3u Upgrade Experiences

Hi all -
New member and first time poster. I have been reading these forums, but thought that this may be worth sharing. Maybe I will also become a more sophisticated user from these forums. Well, I suppose anything is possible?:D

I have been a KScape owner since about 2006. Basic system with K2500 Server, 2 Movie Players and a Music Player controlled via Crestron TPMC-8x panels plus a couple of in-wall Crestron Panels.

Decision
I decided to spring for the Server upgrade offer of 5u to 3u previously discussed in this forum. I thought that I would share my experiences. My upgrade consisted of a new 3u Server with 5 ? 1TB disk cartridges. Upgrade means they take the old server back for return to K. After placing the initial upgrade order, it took approximately 2 weeks for the new server to arrive and then another week for the integrator to schedule the install.

Background
I need to provide some background on our 2500 capacity for reference in some of the following discussions regarding migration time. I had 5 K2500 disk slots filled (3x 500GB and 2x 750GB). The server had 189 movie DVDs and 222 music CDs. I know I am just a lightweight compared to many of you. But maybe I am just more selective or economical (ha-ha). I had no collections or paused movies. I did have three Mix Albums though. I prepared (or thought I would preemptively), by creating a Snapshot of the 5u.

Migration process
This will be at least a slight simplification since I did not directly hover over the integrator during installation. The new 3u server was powered up, given an IP address and added to the group. The 5u was moved to a different group. The 3u Server came pre-loaded with an older version of KEAOS and this was updated to 3.7.1-6642. Next, the Migration Replication function (found in the Installer Panel/Components/Server) was started. My particular migration was estimated by KScape to my integrator as 3-4 days. As a result of my questions, the integrator also discussed the transfer of my Mix Albums, some hand-entered album art and data, plus I asked about collections and other such data. I was told at that time that some hand transfers would be done after the migration was completed. Use of the Snapshot previously captured was still a possibility at this time. Anyway, it completed in about 28 hours. I called on the integrator and had to be back in the queue since they thought it would be longer. No problem though.

3u Install
The integrator returns and has further discussions with K. Result is that Snapshot is not an option to transfer data between servers. Snapshot only works within a single server. Snapshot will not available in future KEAOS systems (documented previously in these forums, only here to indicate the communication between the integrator and K). Well, I will cut to bottom line and save everybody some time. My hand-entered data (music CDs) from the 5u server transferred perfectly. However, as expected my Mix Albums did not. Apparently, had I had any Collections, those would not have transferred either. I was told that I could re-create the Mix Albums myself or the integrator would have to schedule another appointment to do this himself. I saved the Mix Albums in Excel format to my local computer and have been involved with hand-entering the Mix Albums. I am still in discussions with the integrator regarding a new panel for the rack to cover the new 2u blank spot left from the 5u to 3u change. May also want to rearrange the rack slightly to reclaim that 2u space for some future upgrades, maybe a K Blu-ray hopefully? I should have enough add-in capacity to support Blu-ray now.

I also have some additional unrelated Crestron Programming work to be done through them remaining. The 5u Server was taken away for return to K.

I am importing new movies and music now and everything appears to be working fine.

Well, I think that about covers it for now. Let me know if I can answer any questions or comments.

Thanks,
Paul

Great report Paul, and very glad to have you on the forum.

Nice to hear it went pretty smoothly and quickly. Interesting that the two servers had to be in different groups. Makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought of that.

You didn't mention it, but I suppose you didn't have any Favorite Scenes stored? I understand those don't transfer either. I hope Kaleidescape improves this upgrade process so that collections, FS's, scripts, playlists, etc. will transfer.

Congrats on your setup and your new more efficient (and reliable) Kaleidescape system!
--josh

Just want to say thanks for the report and WELCOME!!!:)

Jim

Thanks for the Welcomes!

No, I did not have any Favorite Scenes stored. I believe that I just read that Favorite Scenes did transfer for someone else. I have and continue to be a rather simple-minded user, at least at this point. Perhaps I will get more into it.

I am still recreating the Mix Albums that I had stored though.

I hope K will improve the migration process also to include more effective transfers of stored information. On the other hand, I think that the migration efficiency was good.

I will look forward to seeing what K offers for Blu-Ray upgrades though and evaluate that option when or if that should happen.

Thanks again,
Paul

Back