• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Titles in Store But Not Available on Disc

I am starting to work on updating this for March and April. However, I noticed that the current attachment is the older file from the December update and not the February update. I must have added the wrong file at the time. But this is being updated. Just as a preview - so far for March and April I have 33 more titles which includes 20 Bond films in UHD.

John

I have updated the file in post #1. I found four titles that were double counted and updated the counts. New total is 319. Now off to update for March & April.....

John

Here is the update for the March & April time frame. This would have been a slow month if not for the Bond movies. Total for the month is 34 and O/A total is up to 353.

Downhill (UHD/HDR) - Added 27 March 2020 from Fox
Underwater (UHD/HDR) - Added 14 April 2020 from Fox
Wendy (UHD/HDR) - Added 17 April 2020 from Fox

Intrigo: Death of an Author (UHD) - Added 16 April 2020 from Lionsgate

Gretel & Hansel (UHD) - Added 7 April 2020 from MGM

Like a Boss (HDR) - Added 7 April 2020 from Paramount
The Rhythm Section (HDR) - Added 14 April 2020 from Paramount Pictures

Little Women (HDR) - Added 10 March 2020 from Sony
Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island (UHD/HDR) - Added 14 April 2020 from Sony

Brahms: The Boy II (UHD/HDR) - Added 7 April 2020 from STX

The Turning (HDR) - Added 7 April 2020 from Universal
The Photograph (HDR) - Added 28 April 2020 from Universal

The Way Back (UHD/HDR) - Added xx March 2020 from Warner Bros.
Just Mercy (UHD/HDR) - Added 17 March 2020 from Warner Bros.

Bond Movies:
Die Another Day (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
The World Is Not Enough (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Tomorrow Never Dies (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Goldeneye (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
License to Kill (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
The Living Daylights (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
A View to a Kill (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Octopussy (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
For Your Eyes Only (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Moonraker (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
The Spy Who Loved Me (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
The Man With the Golden Gun (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Love and Let Die (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Diamonds Are Forever (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
You Only Live Twice (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Thunderball (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Goldfinger (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
From Russia with Love (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM
Dr. No (UHD) - Added 6 April 2020 from MGM

Latest Totals for this Period:
A24: 0
Fox: 3
Disney: 0
Lionsgate: 1
MGM: 1
MGM - Bond: 20
Paramount: 2
Sony (HDR): 2
Sony (UHD): 0
STX: 1
Universal: 2
Warner Bros.: 2
Other: 0
Added on Disc: 0

Period total: 34

Total Titles to-date: 353

Totals will be updated in post #1.

John

Post #1 has been updated.

Total 4K Titles on Store: 1045 (including pre-orders)
Total not available on disc: 353
% titles not available on disc in 4K: 33.8%

John

Post #1 has been updated.

Total 4K Titles on Store: 1045 (including pre-orders)
Total not available on disc: 353
% titles not available on disc in 4K: 33.8%

John

Huge difference and it’s grow month by month another credit for K owners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the update for the May & June time frame. This is slightly slower than the last few updates. Total for the month is 24 and O/A total is up to 377. Here are the additions listed by studio:

Bluebird (UHD) - Added 24 May 2020 from 1091 Media.
Midnight Family (UHD) - Added 25 June 2020 from 1091 Media
Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind (UHD) - Added 25 June 2020 from 1091 Media

INXS: Live Baby Live at Wembley Stadium (HDR) - Added 26 June 2020 from Eagle Rock.

I Still Believe (UHD/HDR) - Added 5 May 2020 from Lionsgate
Intrigo: Dear Agnes (UHD) - Added 5 May 2020 from Lionsgate
Intrigo: Samaria (UHD) - Added 5 May 2020 from Lionsgate
Hunter’s Moon (UHD) - Added 3 June 2020 from Lionsgate
Think Like a Dog (UHD/HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Lionsgate
Force of Nature (UHD) - Added 30 June 2020 from Lionsgate

Valley Girl (2020) (UHD) - Added 8 May 2020 from MGM

The Firm (HDR) - Added 12 May 2020 from Paramount
Vanilla Sky (HDR) - Added 12 May 2020 from Paramount
Nashville (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Airplane (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Flashdance (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Escape from L. A. (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Deep Impact (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Tropic Thunder (HDR) - Added 9 June 2020 from Paramount
Pretty in Pink (HDR) - Added 10 June 2020 from Paramount
Rango (HDR) - Added 10 June 2020 from Paramount

Easy Rider (UHD/HDR) - Added 12 June 2020 from Sony
Roger Walters: Us + Them (UHD) - Added 16 June 2020 from Sony Music

Emma (HDR) - Added 5 May 2020 from Universal
Never Rarely Sometimes Always (UHD/HDR) - Added 27 May 2020 from Universal
Body Cam (HDR) - Added 28 May 2020 from Universal

Scoob! (UHD/HDR) - Added 15 May 2020 from Warner Bros. (No release date on disc)

Missed Addition:

Added on Disc - Already in Store:

Mask of Zorro - Sony
Jerry Maguire - Sony
Lawrence of Arabia - Sony
Parasite - Universal

Latest Totals for this Period:
A24: 0
Fox: 0
Disney: 0
Lionsgate: 6
MGM: 1
Paramount: 10
Sony (HDR): 1
Sony (UHD): 1
STX: 0
Universal: 3
Warner Bros.: 1
Other: 4
Added on Disc: 4

Period total: 23

Total Titles to-date: 376

I will update totals in post #1 within the next few days.

John

ETA: Found the Missed Addition on the list in the wrong spot so removed from the count.

Last edited:
Post #1 has been updated. I also had one correction to the post above. Overall summary:

Total 4K Titles on Store: 1081 (including pre-orders)
Total Titles to-date: 376
% titles not available on disc in 4K: 34.8%

John

I saw on that last post you mention some Sony titles that are now on disc but already in the store. BUT, those are 4K HDR on disc and still the older standard 4K UHD versions on K (the discs are also Atmos). Might need to break it out further as it isn't a fair comparison with those.

I saw on that last post you mention some Sony titles that are now on disc but already in the store. BUT, those are 4K HDR on disc and still the older standard 4K UHD versions on K (the discs are also Atmos). Might need to break it out further as it isn't a fair comparison with those.

I assume you are talking about the Columbia Classics Vol. 1 that it has been reported the files were received late by Kaleidescape but are in work.

Also, there was a thread that compared 4K titles on disc and not available on the Store. But once all the studios were added it was only a title here or there that were missing and not worth tracking (I assume that was Matt’s thinking).

Here’s the link to the old thread:

If things change and there is trend of titles available in HDR on disc but not on K, it might be worth while to re-look. However, I don’t foresee this happening - but I have been wrong before.

John

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about the Columbia Classics Vol. 1 that it has been reported the files were received late by Kaleidescape but are in work.

Also, there was a thread that compared 4K titles on disc and not available on the Store. But once all the studios were added it was only a title here or there that were missing and not worth tracking (I assume that was Matt’s thinking).

Here’s the link to the old thread:

If things change and there is trend of titles available in HDR on disc but not on K, it might be worth while to re-look. However, I don’t foresee this happening - but I have been wrong before.

John

The titles in the Columbia collection are definitely relevant, but it also applies to some others like Mask of Zorro. I'd have to look at all of them, but Sony has released a few on disc lately that we haven't seen updated.

Yes, “The Mask of Zorro” is the other Sony title I have been tracking. There are two others from Universal that I am tracking:

The Blues Brothers
47 Ronin

These last two have been released on disc in 4K but not to digital media.

Those are the only new releases to 4K on disc that are missing since February. Let me know if there are any others I am missing.

John

Another thing. I've seen quite a few titles that are available in 4K or 4K HDR on other digital platforms that are not in the K store. Examples include Cruel Intentions (Sony), Under the Skin (Lionsgate/A24) and more. Is this something you take into account on your lists?

Another thing too, most of those I know here prefer to focus on what we have rather to what we don't. In most cases and in my eyes without any bias, 4K on other digital platforms equals BD(at a bare minimum) quality on K. Just check the pictures from the review posted earlier today by Matt. So as an owner and with all due respect, if I were John I see no need to take into account.

All the Best,

Kostas

PS: Big fan of Sound and Vision magazine !

Another thing too, most of those I know here prefer to focus on what we have rather to what we don't. In most cases and in my eyes without any bias, 4K on other digital platforms equals BD(at a bare minimum) quality on K. Just check the pictures from the review posted earlier today by Matt. So as an owner and with all due respect, if I were John I see no need to take into account.

All the Best,

Kostas

PS: Big fan of Sound and Vision magazine !

Hmm. The difference in video isn't huge if you have the internet bandwidth. I'm extremely critical of video and view on a calibrated 140" scope screen. There are always exceptions, but generally the quality is way better than I ever expected could be achieved with streaming. But I will take K or disc all day over streaming. I'm just curious as to why we see titles being offered in 4K HDR on other services and not K. Especially when it comes to larger studio titles (not small label or other country releases).

Another thing. I've seen quite a few titles that are available in 4K or 4K HDR on other digital platforms that are not in the K store. Examples include Cruel Intentions (Sony), Under the Skin (Lionsgate/A24) and more. Is this something you take into account on your lists?

Under the Skin is 4k on Kaleidescape.

Can not find Cruel intentions available anywhere digitally in 4k.

Hmm. The difference in video isn't huge if you have the internet bandwidth. I'm extremely critical of video and view on a calibrated 140" scope screen. There are always exceptions, but generally the quality is way better than I ever expected could be achieved with streaming. But I will take K or disc all day over streaming. I'm just curious as to why we see titles being offered in 4K HDR on other services and not K. Especially when it comes to larger studio titles (not small label or other country releases).
Although I personally see and mostly hear a huge difference(thanks to my setup), I tend to agree. Such cases(as the one you mention) that are studio dependant don't make sense, I guess the studio executives are the only ones that could answer this question.... From another thread here you can see many titles that were released in BD are still SD quality in K or not available at all. From what I know this definitely not K's fault.
Go figure.....

Hmm. Missed that on Under the Skin. Cruel Intentions is 4K HDR via iTunes.

Under the skin is only UHD though. It’s in 4K with Dolby Vision on iTunes.

My view is the same as @telem. Although other video streaming keeps getting better it is not as good as either disc or Kaleidescape so I have only been comparing to BR disc. It also would take a lot of time to track all the other streaming services - time I just don’t have.

John

Under the skin is only UHD though. It’s in 4K with Dolby Vision on iTunes.

Not relevant though for those primarily using projectors, I think there are many in here. I do not own this movie but I guess "only UHD" should be fine

Back