• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Title Matrices

Store offerings are being compared to the highest quality physical release available. Other streaming services are not currently being used for comparison.
In the case of Dirty Dancing, The physical release, along with the BD quality K offering, are available in 7.1. The 4K offering from K is only in 5.1, hence the lower quality designation.
Hope that clears things up.

Thanks! That helps. I personally am not interested in whether the 4K Store version has worse audio than a lower resolution version. But there may be others who might.

However, this is a great starting point on this! Thanks for putting this together!

John

Thanks! That helps. I personally am not interested in whether the 4K Store version has worse audio than a lower resolution version. But there may be others who might.

However, this is a great starting point on this! Thanks for putting this together!

John
I do find it disappointing that that happens quite a lot with titles on K ... it makes no sense given the cost and prestige of the system

Complain to the content owners, they control the versions delivered to K. Until there is a direct comparison with other online services, it's futile to place this at K's door, and even then it's possible different contracts between vendors and studios could result in different versions being available between the online services. The content providers don't care what our systems cost........

Kind of reminds me of my complaint to my Ferrari dealership recently. Given the cost of these cars I expect the navigation system to be, at a minimum, on par with the likes of Lexus, but it's not, and the answer I was given was "Understood, but unfortunately we can only sell what they deliver, you'll have to take that up with Ferrari." Frustrating!

Jim

I do find it disappointing that that happens quite a lot with titles on K ... it makes no sense given the cost and prestige of the system
I share your frustration with this, but there is an explanation (somewhat).

The vast majority of HD releases on the K store are sourced from Blu-ray discs, so the quality is exactly the same (including Atmos). I think this is starting to change, but in the early days of the store, everything was sourced from disc.

With 4k titles, K is using mezzanine files from the studios and encoding it themselves. Depending on the studio, they may not include the best audio format. I don't think any 4k content in the store is sourced from a 4k disc.

I share your frustration with this, but there is an explanation (somewhat).

The vast majority of HD releases on the K store are sourced from Blu-ray discs, so the quality is exactly the same (including Atmos). I think this is starting to change, but in the early days of the store, everything was sourced from disc.

With 4k titles, K is using mezzanine files from the studios and encoding it themselves. Depending on the studio, they may not include the best audio format. I don't think any 4k content in the store is sourced from a 4k disc.
Thanks

Going forward it appears we will see the advanced codecs from most studios (we hope) so that’s improving news. Perhaps the management changes at K are helping in this regard, especially with the studio background of Garcia-Muro

Looking back, one would think the studios/creatives would only want the best presentation of the content, and generally provided Atmos or DTS:X on disc and to other major streamers - but perhaps it was a contract/financial issue for K that prevented this and has been (or is being) resolved.

But overall, the management changes have coincided with examples of K being more responsive to their consumers (ie disc to digital fee reductions in many cases along the efforts to get the codecs issue moving)

Keep it up

Just noticed Ingloroius Basterds is missing from K -

Howver I own it, so it’s perhaps a store error or was taken down for some reason

Added Digital (iTunes/Vudu) Audio Format to the 4K KALEIDESCAPE tab, along with a dynamic list for those titles with a lower audio codec. Kscape to Digital comparison only applies to titles where no physical release is available.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Back