• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Projector suggestions

JVC DLA-RS600 with HDR

As a point of reference, I was very surprised to discover that with a proper calibration and custom gamma curve, the JVC DLA-RS600 projector can do a quite good job with HDR on a relatively large screen (156" diagonal, 2.40 aspect ratio, 1.3 gain).

I only have about 69 nits to play with after calibration for BT.2020 and HDR - but the picture looks excellent!

I am looking forward to when Kaleidescape emits control commands for HDR - so I can automatically switch the projector preset accordingly.

It would be extremely helpful if Kaleidescape included a feature like the Panasonic UB900 UHD Blu-ray player - a Dynamic Range slider that "brightens" the HDR picture with minimal effect on the black floor.

That sounds very good! What's the light output for a non HDR calibration?

That is a little tricky to answer. The HDR preset uses high lamp mode, which I don't use for SDR. That said, there are two main impacts to the light output:

• P3 Filter (cuts approximately 15% of the light output to enable Wide Color Gamut / BT.2020)
  • Gamma Curve (the gamma curve cuts down a bit on the main content brightness to enable spectral highlights for HDR)

Ahh, maybe I should rephrase my question. Subjectively, how does it look between the two?

Great question! The HDR picture (4K BT.2020 HDR) looks excellent. I will have to do some more testing to determine if it is significantly better than a well-upscaled SDR picture (2K->4K BT.709 SDR).

My main interest in HDR was getting access to the Atmos soundtracks that in many cases are only available on the HDR releases.

Since the Strato does not do HDR to SDR tone mapping (unlike the Panasonic UB900 which does it very well) my primary goal was to at least meet the HD quality picture with the HDR picture from the Strato. I am pretty sure that goal has been met.

I will be doing more testing and comparing over the next few weeks to get a better idea. But it is very heartening to see how far 69 nits can go!

Fantastic to hear! Any thoughts about using the Oppo 203 to act as a HDR->SDR convertor? I believe it can do that on its HDMI input. Are you as impressed with ATMOS as everyone else seems to be? I understand what it is in theory, but as I have a Meridian setup and thus likely have no chance to adopt this new format, I'm always curious to hear impressions from others. So far its 100% positive. Is the sound quality in the main (5 or 7) channels improved as well? (would there be a benefit to run ATMOS even if you have a 5 or 7 channel system?)

Fantastic to hear! Any thoughts about using the Oppo 203 to act as a HDR->SDR convertor? I believe it can do that on its HDMI input. Are you as impressed with ATMOS as everyone else seems to be? I understand what it is in theory, but as I have a Meridian setup and thus likely have no chance to adopt this new format, I'm always curious to hear impressions from others. So far its 100% positive. Is the sound quality in the main (5 or 7) channels improved as well? (would there be a benefit to run ATMOS even if you have a 5 or 7 channel system?)

The Oppo 203 HDMI Input at this point does not accept HDR. Also, the HDR to SDR conversion is not very good (yet). So not yet an option! I have used Oppo for years - but I finally gave up on waiting and purchased a Panasonic UB900 instead (which I am very happy with).

I am quite impressed with Atmos (including its ability to upscale lesser content to the overhead speakers). There might be a small advantage for a 5 or 7 channel system just by the way "object-based" sound works - but I would guess it would be pretty minimal (but I don't know for sure).

Thanks for the feedback! Thats interesting on the Oppo. I thought they had enabled that feature, but I guess its coming. Is the HDR-SDR conversion on the Panny better?

Good to know about ATMOS. I know a lot of people rave about it.

Thanks for the feedback! Thats interesting on the Oppo. I thought they had enabled that feature, but I guess its coming. Is the HDR-SDR conversion on the Panny better?

Good to know about ATMOS. I know a lot of people rave about it.

Yes - the HDR to SDR conversion on the Panasonic UB900 is considerably better than on the Oppo 203...at this time (assumedly Oppo will continue to improve this feature).

However - there is an important caveat if you have an HDR display. With Oppo you can use the HDR to SDR feature directly. With Panasonic you need to "fool" the player into thinking it is feeding an SDR source (using something like the HDfury Linker).

Back