• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

WANTED: 3U Server Grandfathered

sirgadget

Hi.

As the title states, I'm looking for a 3U server with grandfathered status.
I don't care too much about which drives are in it, as I'm just looking for a system to begin with, and plan on upgrading drives as I need them. I'm also on somewhat of a budget; don't let that scare you though.

I thought I had closed a deal with a seller, but unfortunate it was sold right under my nose, hence why I'm creating this thread.

I'm located in Denmark, so a European seller is preferred, but not required.

I also have a 1U with 4 1TB drives that are brand new for trade-in, if anyone's interested; it is also grandfathered.

Hope one of you can help me.

Thanks, Mikkel.

I have a 3U but it is not grandfathered. You could couple it to your system then sell off your 1U as an ungrandfathered server.

My 3U server has 6 x 4TB drives currently. I am in the USA but I can ship to Europe.

Hmm, that might be interesting.

But how exactly do I go about transferring the DVD license?
Is there a guide somewhere you could point me to?

And could you PM me with the shipping costs?

You would just add it to your system and then remove your 1U from your system and unregister the 1U, which would then leave the 3U as your server on your grandfathered account.

You see, the servers are not grandfathered, the accounts are. A grandfathered server really is a server being sold with an account that has the license to import DVDs.

Okay, what you're telling has me a bit worried.

You see, I have a server which is already activated, but it's not activated to me, it was just never deactivated.

And I don't currently have an account, as I have never had the system up and running.

Is it still possible for me to have an account created and retain DVD import?

Yes, you just need to have the entire account transferred over to you. I can help you with that if you PM me the serial numbers of your server and components.

When you say the entire account, what do you mean exactly?
The entire account of the previous owner?

I bought the server from a dealer in the UK who removed it from a clients setup, as part of a cleanup. But to my knowledge, the client still has Kaleidescape equipment and thereby is using their account. Would it then still be possible?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure it'll actually work, and understand the process :)

The previous owner (or dealer), before selling the Server to you, should have "unregistered" the system (server) by selecting that option at the very bottom of the "Settings" page on the web utility (my-kaleidescape.....). You would then be able to register that Server with K by following the links and inputing the required info.

You should be able to do the same thing yourself. Once you have the Server on your LAN (and online), use your browser to reach it by going to the "my-kaleidescape" shortcut (alternatively, if you know the Server's web address, you can use that instead). This should take you to the home page of the utility. Select "Settings" (top of page, far right side), scroll to the bottom, unregister the system, then follow the instructions to register it in your name. If you have any issues, email K Support (Support at kaleidescape.com), provide the serial number of all of the components you own and your relevant contact info and they can assist you with the registration and transfer of the additional components to your newly registered system.

If the Server has DVD import capability, that capability is retained by the Server regardless of ownership.

(No need to apologize for questions, that's why this Forum exists.:)

Jim

Hi Jim.

Thanks for clarifying, according to you I have nothing to worry about; and I trust your word :)

I will try this soon :)

Back