• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3U HDDs lose storage space when mixed with other capacity's?

Chaos Theory

My 3U server is two thirds populated with 4TB drives. My supplier can't get any more 4TB drives do I've ended up buying three 6TB drives instead.

He tells me that when mixing drives of different capacities, the the first 2TB of the first two new drives is lost to 'the system' so instead of getting 18TBs of available space, I'm only gong to get 14TBs.

Is this correct and can somebody explain why?

Many thanks :)

That is correct. The first drive you put in will be the largest drive in the system, so it will become the hot spare. A hot spare must be able to replace any drive that goes down and that means it must be the largest drive in the array. If your 6TB drive became a data drive, then how would the hot spare replace it in the event of a drive failure? This first 6TB drive will free up the 4TB drive for data. +4TB storage.

The parity drive is the second largest drive in the system (or the largest if a 1U server which has no hot spare). Your second 6TB drive put in would become the parity drive, freeing up the 4TB existing parity drive for data. +4 more TB storage

The third 6TB drive you put in would not be larger than the parity or hot spare drives, so it can be immediately used for data. +6 more TB storage.

+4+4+6= 14TB.

Best regards,
Mike

Great. Thank you very much for the explanation.

I'm assuming that any further 6TB drives added would offer the full 6TB capacity as two of the three recent additions are now the hot spare and parity drives?

That is correct, only the first Two drives are allocated to parity (RAID) and Hot Spare, any additional drives will give you the full 6TB's.

Jim

Back