• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

FOR SALE: 3RU KSERVER-5000 PLUS KPLAYER-5000's

MarkD

For Sale:

KSERVER-5000 3U 14 Drives (4 x 1000 + 10 x 750)
(3) KPLAYER-5000's
Price: $21,900 obo

Vacation home is sold :) - KSCAPE system has to go :mad:. Two years old with very light use. Price is calculated :

Chassis: $11,000
1TB Drives: 2,400 (4 x $600 each)
750kb Drives: 4,300 (10 x $430 each)
Players: 4,200 (3 x $1,400 each)
Total: $21,900

Mark

Last edited:
Two and a half questions:
Are these still under warranty?
I take it by the itemization that you are favoring first-come over keeping bundled?
and if so, disk initialization is extra?

will you sell one Kplayer 5000 for $1000 and the 4 (1)TB drives for $500ea?

Will the drives need to go back to KScape?

Transepoch

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I bought the equipment from Definitive Audio in Bellevue. They're a reputable high-end dealer that sells K-Scape, among others. Although the warranty has expired, the gear is at Definitive right now. They are inspecting it and will issue a "Certificate of Inspection" certifying that the gear is in good operating condition.

I listed the pricing calculations simply to show where the numbers came from. At the present time, I'm not willing to split up the system. (This might change after some time has passed if I'm unable to sell the whole system together.)

Will the drives need to go back to KScape?

Yes. Any drive that comes out of a server must be physically invalidated by Kaleidescape before it can be used in another server. Unless of course all the discs in a married array from one server are transferred to another server.

Yes. Any drive that comes out of a server must be physically invalidated by Kaleidescape before it can be used in another server. Unless of course all the discs in a married array from one server are transferred to another server.

Mostly - I don't think you can have, for example a 3U server with 5 drives in it then add in the entire set of 6 drives from another 3U server even if they are married together because you cannot have 2 married sets of drives under one server except maybe in Utah. :D

According to Tim Barnes of Kalidescape - the system can be sold with or without content. If sold with content, then the original DVD's and CD's must also be supplied. If sold without content, then the content needs to be removed. In my case, I am not providing the original DVD's so that means we will be completely removing all content prior to delivery.

Here's Tim's letter -

"The owner can sell his system and the new owner would need to complete a new SLA for the system. After the sale the new owner would need to contact us to make sure that we have a new SLA on hand and make sure we change the owner record over to the new owner in our logs. As far as the content goes if the system is sold with content installed the owner would need to supply the actual DVDs and CDs along with the system for every movie that is installed in the system. If the discs are not able to be provided to the new owner then the content would need to be removed from the system."

3U is definitely the way to go if you need all that capacity. I bought a 1U to group with an existing 1U for additional capacity, but in this arrangement each server still needs to look after it's own parity, plus there is no "hot spare" capability. So 3 1U's in a group use 3/12 discs for parity, and 9/12 discs for content, hence a lot less efficient use of space than a 3U using 1/14 discs for parity, 1/14 for hot spare, and 12/14 for content i.e. 3 more content discs than using 3 1U's in a group. And the economics are easily in favor of the 3U.

Did I get that right???

BTW 3U's don't come up here very often at all.

Thats interesting thank you. I've currently a 5U server with 9 bays of drives. Am seriously considering the kscape 3u upgrade route. Does anyone know how kscpae charge for the upgrade?

Thats interesting thank you. I've currently a 5U server with 9 bays of drives. Am seriously considering the kscape 3u upgrade route. Does anyone know how kscpae charge for the upgrade?

Your dealer can best explain, but generally you purchase a 3U Server from your dealer at whatever price is set by the dealer. The dealer will give you a credit back based on your returning your current 5U with all disks included. If the credit kaleidescape provides to the dealer is fully applied to your new purchase you will effectively receive your new KDISK (currently 2TB each) disks for free. The number of disks you receive is based on the current storage capacity of your 5U, but rounded up for obvious reasons. You will also receive a Hot Spare and RAID disk in the 3U.

Again, check with your dealer for more exact details.

Jim

Back