• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2001: A Space Odyssey audio mix

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi, all. Just curious, I have this film in my collection in HD quality from like 2 years ago. Is there any point to deleting that version and re-downloading the new version? Do you know if the HD version received any upgrades/updates when they did the 4K HDR version? Like is it a better video master on the HD version as well, and is the audio on this new HD version "English (Restored and Re-mixed) (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)" superior to what was on the original version?
Thanks!
John

Good questions! I was assuming the HD version remains the same and we just leave it alone. I have the same version as you and been meaning to download the HDR version so I'm curious about this as well.

You can try downloading the HD version again. If the download starts, it means that there are changes but it’s really difficult to pin them down(unless there are are really obvious i.e. audio upgrade). You can then delete the old version from your library while the newer one downloads.
If you get the message “content already downloaded” then there is no change.

Every 3-4 months I launch a download of all my 4K movie library(close to 430 movies). I always see 3-4 movies dowloading again but except for audio I never look for specific changes, I don’t really care.

So, if you download all of your 4K movies, it will just download the ones that have changed (e.g. new ATMOS soundtrack)? That's one way to get the audio updates if that works! SJ

So, if you download all of your 4K movies, it will just download the ones that have changed (e.g. new ATMOS soundtrack)? That's one way to get the audio updates if that works! SJ

Dose it mean that NO need to delete and re download

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it does and it has helped me identifiy audio upgrades in the past. This is though the only potential change I am able to spot, I nevertheless keep on doing it every few months. I did it this weekend and two movies downloaded again. The Incredibles 2 and The Lion King. I had downloaded both on release date so some updates may have happened in the meantime but I can’t tell you exactly what. Try it, Iguess it’s always good to have the latest “version”.

Does it delete the old version? Thought everyone (including K members) have stated you need to delete the old version and then re-download for movies that get upgraded with new audio? And that they are working on a solution..... SJ

Does it delete the old version? Thought everyone (including K members) have stated you need to delete the old version and then re-download for movies that get upgraded with new audio? And that they are working on a solution..... SJ

Not sure if this happens. My MO is that when I see a movie downloading despite having it already in my server, I delete the one in my servers while the newer version is downloading. Can't tell you anything more. It can be that other updates are available compared to the older version i.e extras, scenes and not only audio.
If I find from someone else that a newer version is available i.e. Braveheart last week, I delete the old one and then I start downloading the updated version. Not sure what will happen if I don't delete the old version. I will most probably have the same movie twice and then I will need to play both in order to see which one has the upgraded audio.

Delete and re-download, that's the process for now.

Jim

John, to your original question, there have been no updates to date on the HD version of 2001.

Yes it does and it has helped me identifiy audio upgrades in the past. This is though the only potential change I am able to spot, I nevertheless keep on doing it every few months. I did it this weekend and two movies downloaded again. The Incredibles 2 and The Lion King. I had downloaded both on release date so some updates may have happened in the meantime but I can’t tell you exactly what. Try it, I guess it’s always good to have the latest “version”.

As an update and if you are interested to try, the following movies(HDR) from my library have downloaded again:

Cliffhanger - Overlord - Widows - Mary Poppins Returns - Alpha - Solo A Star Wars Story - All the Avengers movies - The Incredibles - Ant Man and the Wasp.

I also noticed that my library(filtered or not, in this case filtered by UHD) can now be dowloaded in one click. It is no longer needed to browse it page by page.

As an update and if you are interested to try, the following movies(HDR) from my library have downloaded again:

Cliffhanger - Overlord - Widows - Mary Poppins Returns - Alpha - Solo A Star Wars Story - All the Avengers movies - The Incredibles - Ant Man and the Wasp.

I also noticed that my library(filtered or not, in this case filtered by UHD) can now be dowloaded in one click. It is no longer needed to browse it page by page.

Is there are benefits from download them again I have around 5 from what u mention

Is there are benefits from download them again I have around 5 from what u mention

No idea Ahmad. It could be various additions, encoding improvements or even a new soundtrack. I just do it.

Kostas

No idea Ahmad. It could be various additions, encoding improvements or even a new soundtrack. I just do it.

Kostas

Thx a lot it should be a thread for these update or improvements in the file so we can update our content I will update and redownload

Sorry for miss understood is these title downloads automatically or I should to delete them and re download them

Thx and accept my apology

Sorry for miss understood is these title downloads automatically or I should to delete them and re download them

Thx and accept my apology

No worries ! Just delete and download again.

Kostas

I just made the update and yes there are some improvements

Is there are any auto way to know what file that been updated by K

Now ur the source To know about any update

I just made the update and yes there are some improvements

Is there are any auto way to know what file that been updated by K

Now ur the source To know about any update

Sure with pleasure.

No there is no automatic way which is a shame.

Kostas

Back