• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2.2 Aspect Ratio

SJHT

Not sure how many K movies use this aspect ratio, but had to make some changes for my setup to handle. Normally, for 2.4 aspect ratio movies, my system (which reads the K control information to know the movie is 2.4) lowers the image to the bottom of my 16:9 screen and lowers top masking. Also, because K control system allows you to reframe things, you can instruct it to set screen masking on. This allows all of the on screen displays (menus, etc.) to be reframed to 2.4. Works slick. Also, when I go back to the movie covers screen, the system reverts back to 16:9 (e.g. raises masking, etc.). Now comes in Tenet! So, have a new preset for this movie to also lower the image to the bottom of the screen and a new preset for my screen masking for 2.2. However, K does not have a 2.2 image ratio option for reframing the image as it reports 1.85 for the image ratio for that movie (they don't seem to have a 2.2 option for control system feedback). Maybe a one off that can be handled manually, but might be nice to have... :). Thanks. SJ

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Yup, ran into the same issue......

(On a separate note, also had a bunch of video drop outs with this film for some reason. I deleted it this morning, re-downloaded it, but haven't had time to check it.)

Jim

sbutter

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
The same with 2.0 Aspect Ratio like Jurassic World marked as 1.85.

SJHT

In looking closer, the menus and other elements are fine. However, can’t trigger my system to handle automatically like other movies. May be time to get this from my Lumagen Pro if K is not going to update their control protocols to give us this info. SJ

SJHT

Menus OK, but subtitles with 2 lines have one off screen. Their process for 2.4 movies is perfect. Adding a few more options would be nice....

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Maybe software thing, I guess it's a matter of devoting the engineering time to get that done. No idea what that time value is, but given there aren't many of these AR's in play, might not be something that makes financial sense (obviously makes owner support sense:)).

Jim

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Great, no software changes needed! (I didn't even realize Tenet had subtitles....I tend to have them off anyway.🤪)

Jim

SJHT

I do to, but the Tenet dialog mix is not the greatest. People think it is on purpose and the way Nolan wanted it. Makes you more engaged and paying attention. Will use them on my second viewing.... :giggle:

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Fortunately I understood what they were saying, have a few language backgrounds......

Jim

SJHT

Still not sure why K would report 2.2 and 2.0 movies as 1.85. I have to go through some craziness to get my Lumagen to get the correct AR for that content. K has a specific component in their control system to report aspect ratio, but even though they know the correct AR, they report incorrectly (I believe it is even documented that they will report incorrectly). Nice if this were added at some point, thankfully are not too many movies...