• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1U replacement power supply 'solution'

Mark H

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Some time ago a 1U server of mine died (the power supply gave up). I tried to get the power supply repaired but it wasn't possible therefore a workaround was needed as there are no drop in solutions that I could find so with a little research and some help from 'baltz' via the forum a solution was found and attached are a couple of photos of that solution.... is it elegant, I think so but I will leave others to judge :)

Solution is a picoPSU (picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply) and an external power brick (156W) both ordered via Amazon, and is still working well after a couple of months on test, will it last as long as the original I don't know but I now have a working spare 1U server again rather than a 'door stop'.

I decided to drill the case and mount the connector on the back panel rather than remove the old AC connector and have a big hole with the cables poking through but the choice is yours.

Attachments

• 1U PSU 1.JPG
    1U PSU 1.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 138
  • 1U PSU 2.JPG
    1U PSU 2.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for posting!

Personally, I would like to see someone 3D print an adapter to mount the DC jack in the location of the old AC inlet.

The Cosel is a few mm longer, but a mm or two shorter on the other two dimensions, so you should be okay. Of course, the mounting holes won't line-up.

Some time ago a 1U server of mine died (the power supply gave up). I tried to get the power supply repaired but it wasn't possible therefore a workaround was needed as there are no drop in solutions that I could find so with a little research and some help from 'baltz' via the forum a solution was found and attached are a couple of photos of that solution.... is it elegant, I think so but I will leave others to judge :)

Solution is a picoPSU (picoPSU-160-XT, 160watt (200watt peak) , 12V input DC-DC ATX Power Supply) and an external power brick (156W) both ordered via Amazon, and is still working well after a couple of months on test, will it last as long as the original I don't know but I now have a working spare 1U server again rather than a 'door stop'.

I decided to drill the case and mount the connector on the back panel rather than remove the old AC connector and have a big hole with the cables poking through but the choice is yours.
Thanks for the info. I presume you're using the Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT because it simplifies the connections rather than just using an open rail power supply? And it also keeps the 3rd party mains outside of the box?

I used the Mini-Box PicoPSU-160-XT as it was the only solution could find as the original PSU's are impossible to find and any other open rail PSU's are / were too big to fit in the case.
I am still using the solution for the best part of 3 years now without issue in 2 of my 1U's which are left on 24x7x365

I used the Mini-Box PicoPSU-160-XT as it was the only solution could find as the original PSU's are impossible to find and any other open rail PSU's are / were too big to fit in the case.
I am still using the solution for the best part of 3 years now without issue in 2 of my 1U's which are left on 24x7x365
Thanks for the info.

I literally just fixed another two of mine using the same PicoPSU-160-XT . That’s 3 now all up and running perfectly.

New power brick too I came across on Amazon UK. 150w. Works perfectly, bit more headroom than the 120w ones given we can’t get the other recommended US ones here, although I did grab one when I last there

:)

12V 12.5A Power Supply - COLM 12Volt 12.5Amp 150W Adapter Charger Connector 5.5x2.5mm DC Plug Replacement 12V 10A 120W for PICO BOX DC-ATX PSU HTPC Mini PC/LED strips https://amzn.eu/d/egg8my7

I literally just fixed another two of mine using the same PicoPSU-160-XT . That’s 3 now all up and running perfectly.

New power brick too I came across on Amazon UK. 150w. Works perfectly, bit more headroom than the 120w ones given we can’t get the other recommended US ones here, although I did grab one when I last there

:)

12V 12.5A Power Supply - COLM 12Volt 12.5Amp 150W Adapter Charger Connector 5.5x2.5mm DC Plug Replacement 12V 10A 120W for PICO BOX DC-ATX PSU HTPC Mini PC/LED strips https://amzn.eu/d/egg8my7
Does it need such a large power supply when the KScape data sheet says 1A power consumption for four drives.

I thought the same but I’m not that skilled in electrics so I just followed the previous recommendations. Given the PSU is 160w. My original is running on 120w brick without issue.

Maybe someone more skilled than I in that area can confirm?

Back