• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1U replacement drive not working

mpierson

Hi all,

I have just received a replacement for a failed 6TB drive on my 1U server.
However when I inserted it, it made a spinning and clicking sound for about 30 seconds before going solid amber.

My system is unusable and tells me I still have a missing or failed disk.

I have contacted K support and they tell me a failed drive out of the box is very rare, but are arranging delivery of a new drive.

While I wait, I am bracing myself for this to be an issue with the server itself and therefore an expensive out of warranty repair (or worse, unrepairable).

I was just wondering has anyone else ever had the same experience, or have an inkling of what the issue might be, if not a faulty disk?

Thanks in advance!

I can't say from direct K experience, but generally speaking it sounds like a bad drive. They can definitely be damaged in shipping. Even with lots of padding, if the box fell off a truck or conveyor belt it could cause the drive to fail in the manner you describe. It is stressful having your system in a degraded state, but I would be glad that it failed immediately and not in a few days/weeks.

Just wondering, you say your system is unusable? I thought with a bad drive, the system still works except for not allowing imports.

If you plug a serial cable into the machine you generally can see what’s happening. If the drive is rejected for some reason (amber means it was) the system will write to the drive and basically disable it. Best to have this connected before you add the drive. Once it’s disabled it’s much less verbose about errors.

Thanks for the replies.

Cmw, do you mean attach a monitor? That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware you could do that.

As it turns out the replacement drive I received was indeed faulty and the replacement for the replacement I’ve just received works fine, so thankfully the server itself is still good.

That’s really interesting. Will certainly look at this the next time I have an issue. Thanks for the tip!

Back