• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1TB consumer desktop drives finally shipping - hopefully K won't be too far behind

rgbyhkr

Well, this is what I have been waiting for. Hopefully, the wait between general consumer desktop drive availability and K drive availability of the same size won't be as long as it was for 750GB drives (about 6 months between the 2 last year if I remember right). Once K offers 1TB drives, I'll be onboard for a new 3U server with a few drives to add onto the 2 full 5U servers I have now.

Anyone else eager to get 1TB drives for the K?

Jeff

Well, this is what I have been waiting for. Hopefully, the wait between general consumer desktop drive availability and K drive availability of the same size won't be as long as it was for 750GB drives (about 6 months between the 2 last year if I remember right). Once K offers 1TB drives, I'll be onboard for a new 3U server with a few drives to add onto the 2 full 5U servers I have now.

Anyone else eager to get 1TB drives for the K?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Absolutely, I've got a couple of owners that will not buy any more drives until the 1TB's are released. One is saving the last 4 empty slots in his 5U for the 1TB's.

Once we get HD (BR/HD-DVD) we'll need a bunch of those 1T's!! (and likely 3U's as well).

Jim

Can you mix and match drive sizes in a server? I figured you couldn't due to the RAID feature. That would be cool if you could. Ive just about maxed out the 5U server with the 750gb drives. I figure within the next year I will want to add the new 3U...

Jerry,

I currently have 6 750 GB and 6 400 GB drives in my 5U server and it works great.

Scott

Can you mix and match drive sizes in a server? I figured you couldn't due to the RAID feature. That would be cool if you could. Ive just about maxed out the 5U server with the 750gb drives. I figure within the next year I will want to add the new 3U...

Absolutely. When moving up to a larger drive (i.e. 750 to 1TB) you "lose" the additional capacity from the first 1T because that capacity (250gb in the example) must be dedicated to RAID (to cover the highest capacity disk in the system). Therefore, you would only have 750gb of content storage available on your first 1T, but all subsequent 1T's would of course have full capacity.

Jim

Absolutely. When moving up to a larger drive (i.e. 750 to 1TB) you "lose" the additional capacity from the first 1T because that capacity (250gb in the example) must be dedicated to RAID (to cover the highest capacity disk in the system). Therefore, you would only have 750gb of content storage available on your first 1T, but all subsequent 1T's would of course have full capacity.

Jim

Does that hold for the 3U servers as well? I was under the impression that they use 2 slots for redundancy so I would guess than that the first 2 larger drives would not offer their full capacities. Is that accurate?

Thanks

Jeff

Does that hold for the 3U servers as well? I was under the impression that they use 2 slots for redundancy so I would guess than that the first 2 larger drives would not offer their full capacities. Is that accurate?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Actually, there is still only one drive for "RAID." The other drive you are referring to is the "hot swap" drive that is used to accept data necessary to replace a drive that has gone bad. Another way to look at it is that this second drive is in your 3U "waiting" to be used in the event of a disk failure. Ordinarily, this disk would have been the one K would send you in the event of a disk failure, to replace the disk that failed. This of course leaves the system vulnerable to a total loss of all data should a second disk fail while waiting for the replacement. Now, because of the "hot swap," this disk exchange takes place immediately, thereby significantly reducing the risk of a total failure.

The third disk in the 3U system is obviously the only content storage disk. In a 3U system, that comes with 3 disks, there is only one disk for content storage, the other 2 disks are as just described.

I hope that is clear!

Jim

Jeff,

Actually, there is still only one drive for "RAID." The other drive you are referring to is the "hot swap" drive that is used to accept data necessary to replace a drive that has gone bad. Another way to look at it is that this second drive is in your 3U "waiting" to be used in the event of a disk failure. Ordinarily, this disk would have been the one K would send you in the event of a disk failure, to replace the disk that failed. This of course leaves the system vulnerable to a total loss of all data should a second disk fail while waiting for the replacement. Now, because of the "hot swap," this disk exchange takes place immediately, thereby significantly reducing the risk of a total failure.

The third disk in the 3U system is obviously the only content storage disk. In a 3U system, that comes with 3 disks, there is only one disk for content storage, the other 2 disks are as just described.

I hope that is clear!

Jim

Just to clarify the above statements, obviously once you start putting 1TB's into the 3U servers, you will, in addition to the 1TB that needs to be set aside for RAID, need a 1TB drive to act as the "hot swap" to recover content should a 1TB drive fail.

Jim

Back