• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1917 video issue?

jmdls

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi. I watched 1917 last night (great movie!) and while the vast majority of the movie looked great, there was a moment in the scene marked "The Dogfight". The camera is traveling horizontally behind these vertical wooden slates of a small pen and the image is a real mess. I watched it a few times on two different displays, same thing. Wondering if this is an issue with the encode, or maybe just a really difficult scene for processors? (I have a JVC NX7 projector and a Sony XBR930D TV.) Curious if anyone else noticed this or maybe just something in my setup... Thanks!

I didn't notice any video (nor audio) issues when I viewed it the first time. In reviewing the scene again I can confirm that it looks fine in the displays I checked (Sony 5000ES projector, Sony OLED, Sony 8K). Not exactly sure what you mean by "a real mess," but if you are referring to judder or other temporal artifacts, I didn't see any of that when I checked the scene, the motion is smooth and clear.

Jim

I think it is definitely judder that I'm seeing, Jim. The pieces of wood virtually double in ghost images as the camera pans to the right. Not something that you need to look closely to see, and it repeats on every viewing, so not some random glitch. Do you have a Lumagen? Wondering if maybe that is helping out...? I talked to someone else who watched the Vudu version of that same scene and he saw the same things that I did, but neither of us have a system of your caliber. :)

I only have the Lumagen Rad Pro connected to my theater projector (the 5000), the other two displays are direct connections, and they all played the movie without artifacts. As you know, video processing varies on these displays, some handle movement better than others. I buy the title on Vudu now, just to see if there's a difference, and I'll report back.

Jim

Thanks! I think if you didn't see any judder on the K version, you likely won't on the Vudu either. I've never noticed anything as egregious as this and I've watched hundreds of 4K titles. My first thought was that it was an encode issue, but it sounds like it is something source related that my displays just struggled with. I think turning on some motion interpolation or frame insertion would help, but it was midnight when the movie finished and I didn't have the time for tinkering.

Just checked the scene in both HDX and UHD versions on Vudu, using the flat panel displays I mentioned, no judder or other artifacts on either display. So the Vudu version doesn't have any issues on the displays I checked.

Jim

Thanks for the legwork, Jim. I might see if I can film it and post it later. (When you pause the image, the artifacts aren't visible.) I'd think I was crazy if not for another reviewer who saw the same thing. I'm wondering if it is just the caliber of your system (or some setting) that is making the difference? Perhaps other forum users will post impressions. But I really appreciate your input! :) (Can you post short videos here?)

Understood. Judder visibility also varies among viewers, some folks are more sensitive to it than others, but it is obviously real and can sometimes be partially mitigated with the motion controls provided by most modern displays, but some do that better than others. As long as we keep filming at 24 frames/sec, and then playing back at 60Hz or 120Hz, some judder will be present. Whether we see it or not is based on how good the TV handles the processing, and to some extent how our eyes/brain perceive the movement. I'd play with the motion controls and see if you can get to a compromise between judder reduction and a realistic looking image.

Jim

Understood. Judder visibility also varies among viewers, some folks are more sensitive to it than others, but it is obviously real and can sometimes be partially mitigated with the motion controls provided by most modern displays, but some do that better than others. As long as we keep filming at 24 frames/sec, and then playing back at 60Hz or 120Hz, some judder will be present. Whether we see it or not is based on how good the TV handles the processing, and to some extent how our eyes/brain perceive the movement. I'd play with the motion controls and see if you can get to a compromise between judder reduction and a realistic looking image.

Jim
Jim, what are the motion settings on your Sony TV set to? It says something like Cine motion and motion handling or clarity. If I have it on anything but smooth I get judder really bad. I tried filming it but it is not something that films.

On the Sony OLED, one of those I checked, Motionflow is Custom (Smoothness is 3, Clearness is Low, CineMotion is High (this is the setting I'd look at closely). Motion is Off on my Sony 5000 (I use the Lumagen in this setup).

I'm surprised no one else has commented yet.

Jim

BTW, I also checked two other Sony displays in my house and didn't have any problems with that scene, it was clear and no noticeable judder.

Jim

Back