• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

🔵 TV Series- Consolidate to single title

Hello everyone.

Please let me assure you, we don't ignore user feedback. Unfortunately, as you've no doubt noticed, the last few years have involved a pretty radical transformation of our company and our product offering, first to comply with the terms of the DVD CCA settlement, and then to incorporate all of the necessary work to support delivery of movies via the Internet without the quality compromises that are present in other products. We've just launched a new product line with a completely new hardware architecture as well, which was necessary to support 4K Ultra HD content.

Regrettably, those necessary efforts have sometimes forced us to delay work that we would otherwise have loved to do. (Frame advance and slow-motion, anyone?)

I can't make any promises on the topic of this thread, but I do promise you that it's always our goal to improve the customer experience of our products, and your feedback is extremely valuable.

In fact, I'm looking forward to having a bit more back-and-forth discussion with you now that I've been asked by Cheena to maintain a public presence here!

Thanks very much for your understanding and your continued support.

Mike Kobb
Director, User Experience
Kaleidescape, Inc.

That's great Mike. Glad to have you, and appreciate the info about your necessary priorities. Still hoping this makes the feature queue at some point soon.

MikeKobb,

Any idea when the iPhone app will be up and running again?

It is in the works. Unfortunately, to accurately reflect ownership of Movie Store content, it was necessary to make changes in the online service that the app connects to, and the engineering resources to do that work have been fully occupied with the work to add 4K Ultra HD content to the Movie Store.

I'm sorry I can't predict at this point when the remaining work can be completed.

Right now I have removed my tv sessions because I'm about out of space (upgrading soon) but I would love to see TV show sessions combined in the list and cover view.

For example when your looking at the kscape menu on the item. Instead of Play Episodes maybe have Sessions then Episodes. I also like how Netflix advances to the next session. If it's in this combined state it should be able to continue easy.

We all like options so if we did this I would like to see kind of a turn on/off for user preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha. good luck.
See this thread: Kaleidescape Owners' Forum
I/we've been asking for this for A DECADE, and Kaleidescape hasn't done anything about it.

Mike Kobb at Kaleidescape actually DID post a response to this recently[/URL] when i went off on another tirade about it... (see post a few above this one) but it amounted to him saying they've had other priorities and haven't been able to put resources on this.

To be honest, I've given up. With very few exceptions, I typically now watch TV series only on Netflix, AppleTV, Hulu, or Tivo. All four of those fixed this problem years ago.
It's become the most embarrassing thing about the Kaleidescape UI in my opinion.

I do hope it finally gets some engineering and UI attention, but I'm not holding my breath for this to come any time soon.

Last edited:
With a proper UI team they probably could push this stuff pretty fast. In most of my past jobs I have been able to work with teams (5-10) of developers that got crap like this done in weeks. Not years.

Any positions for dev project managers? I'll join in a heartbeat :)

With so much focus on keeping things legal and focus on hardware I think we have fallen behind with the kind of UI other systems have like you said josh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a fair bet that a sizable overhaul of how TV series are handled is why Fox's TV series and Paramount are being held-off until summer (or TBD in the studio's case.) Should be interesting to see what they choose to implement, with the vast pool of recommendations available.

+1 for series consolidation in the covers & list views (a per-system option is probably a necessity, because there's someone who likes the current display). I'd also like it if the system remembered which episodes I had watched in the last x days.

No. I know they're strapped for resources, both technical and financial, but it's become a complete joke. The UI is horrible for TV series and there's not even an acknowledgement from Kaleidescape that they're aware and working on a solution. I've lost all hope on this ever being done.

I'd urge you NOT to buy TV series from Kaleidescape. Buy them from iTunes, or stream them from Netflix or Hulu. You'll be much happier with the experience.

Between Hulu, AppleTV, and Netflix, there are far better ways to watch TV series. I've given up entirely on Kaleidescape ever making this work.

It's too late for our family... Kaleidescape used to be 50-60% of our family's viewing time. Now it's under 10% and only because I insist on some high quality movies being watched this way... my kids don't care about the Kaleidescape at all any more, primarily due to us all watching lots of TV series and the ridiculous, antiquated way that Kaleidescape presents and organizes it. Netflix and the others just work... organized right, episode summaries, auto-play/binge next episode...

This, and the fact that Kaleidescape destroyed years worth of our family's work on dozens of movie collections when I made the mistake of putting in Strato and Co-star, Kaleidescape is pretty much a fond memory for my family. Convenience and better content organization won out over (slightly) higher quality.

I'm still a fan, but Kaleidescape has lost everyone else in my household.

Apart from with the picture/sound quality.

Not really the case any more, at least with TV. In many cases, Netflix and Hulu have quality that is as good or better than Kaleidescape depending on where the source material came from.

Not really the case any more, at least with TV. In many cases, Netflix and Hulu have quality that is as good or better than Kaleidescape depending on where the source material came from.

I'm sorry but, you can't be serious? Show me a TV show on any streaming service that has better picture quality than the same title on Kaleidescape. The audio quality alone is enough for me to keep watching on Kaleidescape but the picture quality is night and day better on the Kaleidescape as well.

I do agree about the interface and I believe they will get it sorted.

You also mention about your collections since putting in a Strato; as far as I know this is being fixed in the next kOS release.

Forgot to say, collections now work with the CoStar switch as well :)

Between Hulu, AppleTV, and Netflix, there are far better ways to watch TV series. I've given up entirely on Kaleidescape ever making this work.

It's too late for our family... Kaleidescape used to be 50-60% of our family's viewing time. Now it's under 10% and only because I insist on some high quality movies being watched this way... my kids don't care about the Kaleidescape at all any more, primarily due to us all watching lots of TV series and the ridiculous, antiquated way that Kaleidescape presents and organizes it. Netflix and the others just work... organized right, episode summaries, auto-play/binge next episode...

This, and the fact that Kaleidescape destroyed years worth of our family's work on dozens of movie collections when I made the mistake of putting in Strato and Co-star, Kaleidescape is pretty much a fond memory for my family. Convenience and better content organization won out over (slightly) higher quality.

I'm still a fan, but Kaleidescape has lost everyone else in my household.

I'm sorry but, you can't be serious? Show me a TV show on any streaming service that has better picture quality than the same title on Kaleidescape. The audio quality alone is enough for me to keep watching on Kaleidescape but the picture quality is night and day better on the Kaleidescape as well.

I do agree about the interface and I believe they will get it sorted.

You also mention about your collections since putting in a Strato; as far as I know this is being fixed in the next kOS release.

I reckon your 'farting against thunder' on this one mate. Off the top of my head - the following aren't even offered in HD, therefore are all available with better picture quality (even highly compressed) than their SD versions. Audio quality - for me is less critical on TV viewing

Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Suits
Mike & Molly
Rescue Me

The limited title releases and delay in receiving them, means K are not even close to being a viable alternative to 'streaming' - in TV content. I'm not sure where their customer base is with these titles and frankly they seem a waste of time.

I never use K for any of my TV consumption and can understand where Josh is coming from. The alternatives are just more convenient and at least on a par with much of K's offerings.

Last edited:
I reckon your 'farting against thunder' on this one mate. Off the top of my head - the following aren't even offered in HD, therefore are all available with better picture quality (even highly compressed) than their SD versions. Audio quality - for me is less critical on TV viewing

Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Suits
Mike & Molly
Rescue Me

The limited title releases and delay in receiving them, means K are not even close to being a viable alternative to 'streaming' - in TV content. I'm not sure where their customer base is with these titles and frankly they seem a waste of time.

I never use K for any of my TV consumption and can understand where Josh is coming from. The alternatives are just more convenient and at least on a par with much of K's offerings.

I meant like for like e.g. SD vs SD, HD vs HD even some of K's HD stuff looks better than the stuff places say is 4K.

But* you are right that the TV side of things needs some TLC or if they can't compete just ditch it.

Back