Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Notices

Old Feb 4th, 2008

Exclamation Kaleidescape to support Blu-ray! (official)

All, big news tonite.

Here's the details of information that will be released tomorrow for Kaleidescape dealers.

(I have received permission from Kaleidescape's executive team to be the first to publicly post this information on the web! Thanks Kaleidescape for supporting this user group!)

Details are:
  • A new player will be released that plays Blu-Ray Discs in addition to DVDs, CDs, and "content from other sources."
  • The new player will be compatible with all existing Kaleidescape Servers!
  • The new player will support H.264 and VC-1 codecs in addition to the current MPEG-2 that Kaleidescape uses for today's DVD content.
  • Kaleidescape will state that in addition to optical discs, the device will be able to theoretically support content delivered from the Internet, though it is not announcing any service details for such delivery.
  • There are no plans to support HD DVD discs, but the company says it reserves the right to revisit that decision based on traction in the marketplace.
  • The player will be released "in 2009."...... however, the information says that Kaleidescape "is optimistic that it will be possible to import Blu-ray Discs at that time."
    • Note the ambiguity about the release of hardware and the hope that importing of Blu-rays will be possible at that time. My guess is that this means that all of the details of Kaleidescape's implementation of managed-copy haven't been worked out yet, which is understandable. So its possible that the hardware will be out and the software will not yet be released.
  • There will NOT be an additional fee or licensing cost for the KEAOS version that will support Blu-ray, assuming you presently have the movies-software license and have one of the new Blu-ray compatible players.
  • Kaleidescape is saying that the new Blu-ray player is anticipated to cost about the same as the current Movie Player 2 which would be incredible, but there is some wiggle room here as they are telling dealers that at this date is too early to provide definitive information about pricing.
  • There's one more somewhat ominous note in the information that I have. Kaleidescape is saying that it is "possible" that the studios will charge users a fee to copy a Blu-ray disc to their Kaleidescape server.
  • Last, Kaleidescape is predicting that current servers should easily be able to deliver 5 simultaneous Blu-ray playbacks with the initial product, but that they may be able to tweak performance somewhat to deliver 10 or even as many as 20 simultaneous streams over a GigE network.
That's what I know tonight about the Blu-ray Disc plans.

There's more information, however, that will also be released. In addition:
  • Kaleidescape for DVD content will see "improved video quality, a simpler user interface, and more foolproof video configuration."
Wow, this is very impressive, especially the fact that our current investment in server hardware is preserved and that we should have no worries about continued investment in this hardware to be ready for this major release. If the new player/reader is really the price of a MoviePlayer 2, that's incredibly impressive as well.

There you have it... very exciting.

--josh

Last edited by josh; Mar 3rd, 2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old Feb 4th, 2008

wow. Wow wow wow!

OK- well, when I see it, I will buy one! that's it man, I am excited!

So- is this managed copy?
Old Feb 5th, 2008

Absolutely brilliant! Glad I made the K investment.
Old Feb 5th, 2008

The most exciting thing for me about this is that our server investment is safe. I had been concerned that we'd need new servers to support the hi-def formats.

I suspect this will open up a bunch of new sales, since many propsective owners had probably been waiting to hear if Kaleidescape would support hi-def, and if so, would it require new servers before they plunk down their $10k-25k for a server.

--josh

Old Feb 5th, 2008

So when will we see the necessary 5TB cartridges for the servers?

Old Feb 5th, 2008

Thanks for posting all of that info and also for keeping up with K regarding HD content importing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
So when will we see the necessary 5TB cartridges for the servers?
Agreed, a lot more storage capability will be needed to store BR movies (I'm okay with that). Many of us will likely have to add another server to accommodate our BR collections. Nice for K as well.

Jim
Old Feb 5th, 2008

So how do people feel about the possibility that we would have to buy the Blu-ray Disc, and then pay an additional fee for the right to store it on our servers, something we now take for granted with our DVDs and CDs?

To be clear, Kaleidescape hasn't said that that is how it's definitely going to work, but they have gone to lengths to signal that it is possible.

Sounds like they got some concessions from the Association that they'd bless the Kaleidescape storage only if there was an additional "convenience" fee that we're assessed.

I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that, or it may happen for some studios but not others.

It certainly could get out of hand - being charged for more than 10 plays? being charged per player in your house? being charged for scene-marking and scripting abilities?

Lots of other questions about what "managed copy" will really be about. Will they stop K from getting around the FBI warning messages and forced-trailers like we can do on DVDs today?

Worse yet, will they finally get their wish about forcing us to put in the physical disc every now and then? That's something Kaleidescape has been vocal about preventing - it's too much of an inconvenience for the users.

Looks like we have about a year to ponder, debate and worry about these things...

--josh

Old Feb 5th, 2008

Excellent news, it really does show how BR is winning the battle, what will happen with HD DVD in the future???
Old Feb 5th, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by beosoto View Post
Excellent news, it really does show how BR is winning the battle, what will happen with HD DVD in the future???
With Warner dropping HD-DVD, the future of the format looks dim. It seems unlikely that even a player like Microsoft will be able to save it. Without studio support, it can't compete with Blu-Ray. Last I remember, the stories from early Jan about Warner's drop mentioned that Paramount could do the same. Paramount had been HD-DVD exclusive but decided to drop that exclusivity and do BR as well - that came around the same time as the Warner announcement. Some folks thought that Paramount was dropping HD-DVD altogether, but Paramount clarified taht and said they had no plans to do so. However, Paramount has an escape clause in its HD-DVD contract that gives it an out if Warner drops HD-DVD. So, conceivably, Paramount could drop out at any time. Personally, I think we'll see that happen this year and HD-DVD will become officially dead.

Jeff
Old Feb 5th, 2008

The way the guys at K-Scape have talked to us about importing Blu-rays is as follows:

1. The Blu-ray standard allows for an owner to make a backup copy of a disk they have bought
2. The Blu-ray standard doesn't detail how this would be possible
3. The standard allows for the rights holder to make an additional charge for this backup copy.

The press release seems to concur with this. Given (1) if K-Scape can get and agreement on (2) then the studios may well invoke (3)

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Beyond the Invisible
K-Scape Dealer
London, UK