Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Mar 15th, 2010

I'll be buying an iPad on day 1 just to control my Kaleidescape system. I was going to buy an iPod Touch for this purpose but then Apple announced the iPad, so the money I saved in not buying the Pod will help pay for the Pad.

I don't suppose both Remotescape and Kaleidescape will support an iPad app, it will be one or the other. No point R doing it if K will do it for free.
Old Mar 16th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post

I don't suppose both Remotescape and Kaleidescape will support an iPad app, it will be one or the other. No point R doing it if K will do it for free.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that K will come up with an app of their own. Given the fact that Remotescape has already created theirs and worked with K to do it, it would be redundant unless K thought they could do it better. I'd rather have an outside entity be working on it though as K has a lot of areas of focus and control has not been high on their priority list. I know for a fact though that Remotescape is looking into the iPad.

Keep in mind that they are limited in what they can do by K. They can only implement the control schemes that K allows for within the system. I know I personally would like to see more functionality in the remote and I hope that K will open things up a bit more as time goes by. I'm sure we can all come up with some great nice to haves on a remote and maybe that is worth starting a thread in the Feature & Enhancement Requests section of the forum.

Jeff
Old Mar 16th, 2010

I'm also buying an iPad on day 1. I'm very interested in it as a control device for music as well as the KeyNote function. The functionality could certainly be expanded for more robust viewing of the K movie library and for jukebox music functions.

I intend to compare the 2x feature for both Remotescape and for the Sonos App. I don't see the device as terribly expensive when compared with other touchpanels for control - seeing as how it can do so much more. I don't think it is the be-all-end-all for control compared to RF and hardwired systems by RTI, AMX and Crestron, but it will likely be on par to those systems for casual control and browsing both music and movie collections - at a much lower entry price point.

I'll pass along my initial thoughts for those still undecided.

Jay
Old Mar 16th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post

How about Crestrons? I have several TPS6X and after a year they are dying and they dont sell batteries to replace them, they have to go back to the dealer- what a pain in the rear end.
I am having the same problem with my TPS6X!! if I remove it from the dock, the battery is now only lasting 30 minutes or so when before it would be a couple hours - it is only 18 months old...ugh!
Old Mar 16th, 2010

I know the discussion about the TPS-6X is off topic, but I have a question for Jerry and others: Is the battery life on the other Crestron touchpanels better -- or do other touchpanels at least make it easy for the end user to replace the battery?
Old Mar 16th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Battery issues? Apple said they will replace the entire ipad if the battery goes.

How about Crestrons? I have several TPS6X and after a year they are dying and they dont sell batteries to replace them, they have to go back to the dealer- what a pain in the rear end.

If I were Crestron and AMX I would begin to get nervous- they are not there yet, but these tablets/ pads/ etcs are going to eventually kill them.

I was referring to having to deal with a battery issue on a "new" device. Why even release the panel if you already know there may be a battery problem? I guess it can be argued that the published $99 cost of replacing the panel if the battery dies is reasonable, but there is also the hassle of reloading and setting up a new panel. Not saying either of these is a big deal, and I recognize the battery may not even die, but we shouldn't even be having this discussion on a new product in my opinion.

Fortunately, I can rely on Jerry and TivoSloth to lead the way!! Now, if you guys give me the "thumbs up" after beta testing, I'll order mine as well.

Jim
Old Mar 16th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoSloth View Post
...I don't see the device as terribly expensive...
I was going to buy a wall dock for my Pronto TSU9600 then Apple announced the iPad, and at amuch cheaper price point. The decision what to do was a no-brainer, but I do hope someone comes up with a nice after market wall dock for the iPad.
Old Mar 16th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
.......... but I do hope someone comes up with a nice after market wall dock for the iPad.

Yup, that would be nice.

Jim
Old Mar 17th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
I was referring to having to deal with a battery issue on a "new" device. Why even release the panel if you already know there may be a battery problem? I guess it can be argued that the published $99 cost of replacing the panel if the battery dies is reasonable, but there is also the hassle of reloading and setting up a new panel. Not saying either of these is a big deal, and I recognize the battery may not even die, but we shouldn't even be having this discussion on a new product in my opinion.

Fortunately, I can rely on Jerry and TivoSloth to lead the way!! Now, if you guys give me the "thumbs up" after beta testing, I'll order mine as well.

Jim
I'm looking at this from a different angle. First, Apple commonly releases tech stuff like this about a product right at launch or, in this case, even before launch. I don't think it's any indication of a problem, just a statement of what their policy is - in part because they know customers will ask before a problem pops up given the sealed form factor design. They already have such a policy for the iPhone and iPod Touch, so really this is an extension of that.

As for a wholesale swap vs just a part swap, it's probably a move that ensures better QC in the field. The design of the iPad might make field disassembly tricky with the potential for damage if not done with extreme care. So, they decide to swap the entire unit vs just the part. While the need to re-initialize is a bit of a pain, the process it dead simple. Apple is treating this device like the iPhone and iPod Touch, whereby a backup is done every time you sync to iTunes. So, restoring data to a replacement hardware takes a few mouse clicks and you're good to go (after a long sync mind you, with length based on the size of the restore).

I do think charging for a replacement even within warranty is crappy though and definitely devalues AppleCare on the product, which in this case only gives you an extra year's coverage (2 vs the standard 1) for $99. All in all, I don't think just the release of the policy is any indication of a battery problem. We'll still have to see though what real world testing bears out. Most Apple watchers will tell you not to buy a first gen product for a number of reasons - tech issues, price decline in later gen, more features in later gen, etc. I know that all too well being a first gen MBA owner, but I'm still getting an iPad out of the gate...

Jeff
Old Mar 17th, 2010

Mars tell your dealer right away and what I do is lock the unit to the base and dont remove it.

I agree with Jeff on the pad battery replacement. Apple is just saying what their policy will be. Anyway Im happy to give you all my report when I get it.

Tags
ipad, netbook, remote, remotescape