Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Closed Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2015

Default Any Java programmers around here?

As some of the seasoned K owners know, the K system publishes some pretty useful information on a network port. Advanced control systems can connect to that port and watch for messages like "a movie has started in zone XYZ" and then can dim the lights in that zone. And bring them back up when credits start rolling. And lots of other interesting things.

The most interesting, to me anyway, is that you can do things like control volume using the Kapp on iOS. Kapp doesn't know how to talk to any other control systems directly, but it tells the K box that a volume request was made and you have to have something listening to the port and then initiate the volume change via whatever control system you are using.

For those of us using iOS based control systems with no central processor (like iRule or Roomie Remote), this technique won't work. You *have* to have a middle-man. I currently do this at my home with a Mac Mini and I have Indigo installed on it. Works great, and I have it do a few other important middle-man tasks in my system.

I'd like to do the same thing at my mountain house, but I have no other needs for Indigo and it seems like HUGE overkill. I'd have to buy a Mini and pay for another Indigo license ($150 at last check). So I've been looking for other options. One I've found that is *close* is OpenRemote:

http://www.openremote.org

They don't support K yet, and their generic "telnet" support doesn't quite work, either. It's basically one-way in that you can open a connection, send a command, and then the connection goes away. What K needs is a constant connection and some two-way traffic.

Now, I'm told it shouldn't be hard to add K support because OpenRemote *does* already support a few devices that use very similar control systems (Marantz and Lutron), so one would just start with the code that is written for those and adapt it for K.

Sadly, I know *nothing* about Java programming. But I'd really love to find someone who could make this happen because the OpenRemote controller can even run well on a Raspberry Pi. That means we could roll our own middle-man server for under $50 in hardware (You'll need a Pi board, case, and a micro-USB power wart...and then you just plug the Pi in via wired ethernet to your local network).

Now, you could potentially use OpenRemote for your entire control system since that's what it's designed for. I'm happy with the stuff I'm doing already, though, so all I care about is this middle-man thing (I'm basically just going to listen for the volume events and pass them to a Global Cache for IR output).

Anyone interested in taking a look at adding support? Since OpenRemote is open source the work you'd do could get rolled back in and everyone could benefit.

--Donnie
Old Apr 26th, 2015

...I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to get volume control working in the Kapp with minimal effort. i.e. Not Crestron, AMX etc.
Old Apr 26th, 2015

To be clear, OpenRemote runs on a wide variety of platforms including Windows, OSX, Linux, and more:

http://openremote.org/display/docs/Get+Started

So whoever added the K support could do it on pretty much any platform, it doesn't have to be a Pi. And anyone who wanted to put one of these middle-man servers on their network just needs any supported OS on a machine they plan to have on all the time. I like the Pi solution because I don't have a computer that's going to remain on all the time at my vacation house, but also because it's a tiny embedded solution.

It should be pretty easy once this is done to create a single file folks could download and burn to an SD card with the entire OS and OpenRemote already installed. You'd download that, put it on a card, plug it into a new Pi, and plug it all in and put it on your network. Configure it and you're set.

These Pi's are pretty useful for other stuff, too. One thing I plan to do with mine is plug it into an APC UPS using the USB cable. It'll then monitor power and tweet when it goes up and down. Using that, I can tell how long the power is out for and thus know if the contents of the fridge can be trusted or not (I do have a backup generator, but it could run out of fuel or not start automatically like it's supposed to or whatever). Instead of tweeting you could have it email just as easily (actually, easier), but I want anyone to be able to check that status, not just me.

--Donnie
Old Apr 27th, 2015

Interesting. Thanks for the link to OpenRemote. Coincidentally, I was just about to undertake a project to build my own control system (using a Raspberry Pi). This could be quite a nice head start.
Old Apr 27th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the link to OpenRemote. Coincidentally, I was just about to undertake a project to build my own control system (using a Raspberry Pi). This could be quite a nice head start.
Only if you are a Java programmer. Are you a java programmer? Because we sorta need a Java programmer.

--Donnie
Old Apr 27th, 2015

You may be able to jumpstart the project by converting the Control4 driver from LUA to Java. Then again, doesn't the web interface already use Java?
Old Apr 16th, 2016

I'm a Java Software Engineer, and I'll be happy to help if there is still interest.

Last edited by frankiek3; Apr 16th, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiek3 View Post
I'm a Java Software Engineer, and I'll be happy to help if there is still interest.
I'm likely out of the Kscape game soon, so no interest by me any longer.

--Donnie
Old Apr 21st, 2016

No longer relevant, thread closed.

Jim
Closed Thread