Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Kaleidescape Store

Old May 11th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Is there a significant difference in a lot of these re-releases of movies between DTS:X and just using your audio processors DTS Neural X Upmixer on the DTS 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks? Maybe it depends on the audio processor. I’m thinking the sound engineers just convert in a similar way vs. completely redoing the soundtrack for DTS:X? SJ
I agree with this. I am convinced that on some movies the Atmos soundtracks are just “unconverted” from the standard 5.1/7.1 tracks. When I compare the Atmos version with the the “unconverted” version that my processor does I can’t tell a difference.

Then I run across movies that must have total discretely generated channels due to the placement of the sounds. Reminds me of the “Fake or Real 4K” sites. I wish I had a little more info on the process studios use generating the audio.

John
Old May 11th, 2018

Good points, and yes, I agree that it can be very difficult to distinguish between some of these up-mixers and the designed HD codecs. They really can do just about anything with channel assignments these days.

The Trinnov Altitude 32 I'm currently using in my system allows for flexible channel control, but for me it's more about getting the full dedicated discrete channels assigned in the release. In particular I really want simple 7.1 when it's available, not the 5.1 on many of these releases. While true that there isn't normally a lot of rear channel assignments in most 7.1 audio, what is there is there for a reason.

Jim
Old May 11th, 2018

I am not always quick to defend Kscape but in this case they are dmaned if the do and damned if they don't. If they wait until they get the DTSx version then they are delayed, if they release what they have then it doesn't have the DTSx . I don't think they are buying a cheaper version. They can only put out what is supplied. We have seen movies that eventually show up with Atmos or Dtsx at a later date.
Old May 11th, 2018

Very true, nothing has changed, the Studios control the content version, and K releases what they get as soon as they are able.

Jim
Old May 11th, 2018

In reality take Black Panther, COMPLETELY INERT in Atmos creates a rectangle sound box where sounds emanate directly from the speakers and nowhere else but a 3d gapped soundfield. But if you want to extract all the complex pitch, yaw and roll, with multidirectional orbiting sounds it CAN sound 85% like the gravity premiere in the room where atmos was invented, Believe No other room in the world will raise goosebumps inn the imaging like this one can.
IF you feed it lpcm into Neural-X, the important thing is to deploy the speakers in a bubble like fashion, once you have this, you can do decode in kaleidescape and leave it alone, don't sweat it.

The solution lies in jailbreaking a dolby cinema processor. That is the future, i am getting one from Andrew Poulain the WW Director of Dolby Cinema products, but it will re-render to my desired bubble speaker configuration.

We discussed the disney issue, it is a workflow thing, and johns autopilot comment is partially correct.

There is hope ....much! The cinema renderer re-renders to all channels from the max atmos channel count. Will report.

Old May 11th, 2018

Very nice guys!

I'm not saying I don't hear a difference between the newest formats that are object based and high res DTS MA/ Dolby Tru HD. My system doesn't support it. So I sometimes wonder if its worth it for me to make the upgrade. Whereas it does support MA/ Tru HD and I can easily distinguish between these and the core audio/ "standard" DD/DTS soundtracks.

I think audio is more trick than video to get setup just right.

I will say I've been home under the weather the past 2 days and watched Black Panther HDR and Thor HDR and both look truly fantastic and sound great- and were genuinely entertaining movies (the most important part!).

To come back to the topic, I really do believe Kaleidescape works to get us the best possible.
Old May 11th, 2018

Hope you get better soon Jerry!

(Separate note: send me an email when you feel up to it with your opinion of the "Pista", would love your opinion.)

Jim
Old May 11th, 2018

Thanks Jim and all done!
Old May 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park III
Jurassic Park - The Lost World
Jurassic World

All are missing DTS:X tracks

This list is becoming increasingly long and the titles are rarely updated - quite frustrating that so many titles are released to us K owners minus immersive audio. I appreciate this has been a learning curve for all - but surely the workflows have been adequately tested to provide at least the same experience as those buying physical media. Immersive audio is no longer a fledgling format - c'mon K sort this out.......please!!!!.

Getting serioiusly p......d off with this situation.

All 4 added to list...
Old May 12th, 2018

It is unrealistic to expect Universal to change the codec for Kaleidescape I think, Neural-X Is you, friend, Jurassic World sounds.