Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Kaleidescape Store

Old Sep 7th, 2018

Default New to UHD

I have searched for this answer, I'm sorry if it's an old question. I currently have a Premier Disc Vault with a 3U Server. I am about to add a Starto 4K player and a Co-Star HDMI switch. I have two general questions.

1. Can you purchase a physical 4K disc and import to Starto player and store the disc in my vault like I do my Blu Rays, or is the K store the only way to play 4K/UHD movies?

2. I have a huge library of BluRay movies and many are available in UHD and or HDR on K store, is there a reduced price upgrade available from the K store, or will I have to pony up for a fresh UHD/HDR download?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 8th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by profpatel View Post
I have searched for this answer, I'm sorry if it's an old question. I currently have a Premier Disc Vault with a 3U Server. I am about to add a Starto 4K player and a Co-Star HDMI switch. I have two general questions.

1. Can you purchase a physical 4K disc and import to Starto player and store the disc in my vault like I do my Blu Rays, or is the K store the only way to play 4K/UHD movies?

2. I have a huge library of BluRay movies and many are available in UHD and or HDR on K store, is there a reduced price upgrade available from the K store, or will I have to pony up for a fresh UHD/HDR download?

Thanks in advance
  1. No - the only way is to download from the K Store

2. Some Sony titles are available at an upgrade price ($15.99), but most require a fresh purchase.
Old Sep 8th, 2018

All 4K titles from Sony and Warner Bros. Have a reduced price ($15.99) if you have the HD version. It gets a little tricky if you only have the BR disc version. Then there is a cost to go from disc-to-digital and then the upgrade price to 4K. The usual disc-to-digital price is $7.99 but it can vary from title to title. To verify that the dis-to-digital is available, pick the movie and make sure it says “disc to digital: Available” (I hoping you know all about this part since you are a Premiere system owner).

All other major studios do not have a discount to upgrade to 4K from HD.

John
Old Sep 8th, 2018

Smile

Thanks for the quick answers. I will start “making a list” based on your answers. The wifey is not going to be happy about it - but UHD is worth it.