Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Feature & Enhancement Requests

Old Jan 15th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmapit View Post
Apart from with the picture/sound quality.
Not really the case any more, at least with TV. In many cases, Netflix and Hulu have quality that is as good or better than Kaleidescape depending on where the source material came from.

Old Jan 16th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Not really the case any more, at least with TV. In many cases, Netflix and Hulu have quality that is as good or better than Kaleidescape depending on where the source material came from.
I'm sorry but, you can't be serious? Show me a TV show on any streaming service that has better picture quality than the same title on Kaleidescape. The audio quality alone is enough for me to keep watching on Kaleidescape but the picture quality is night and day better on the Kaleidescape as well.

I do agree about the interface and I believe they will get it sorted.

You also mention about your collections since putting in a Strato; as far as I know this is being fixed in the next kOS release.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018

Forgot to say, collections now work with the CoStar switch as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Between Hulu, AppleTV, and Netflix, there are far better ways to watch TV series. I've given up entirely on Kaleidescape ever making this work.

It's too late for our family... Kaleidescape used to be 50-60% of our family's viewing time. Now it's under 10% and only because I insist on some high quality movies being watched this way... my kids don't care about the Kaleidescape at all any more, primarily due to us all watching lots of TV series and the ridiculous, antiquated way that Kaleidescape presents and organizes it. Netflix and the others just work... organized right, episode summaries, auto-play/binge next episode...

This, and the fact that Kaleidescape destroyed years worth of our family's work on dozens of movie collections when I made the mistake of putting in Strato and Co-star, Kaleidescape is pretty much a fond memory for my family. Convenience and better content organization won out over (slightly) higher quality.

I'm still a fan, but Kaleidescape has lost everyone else in my household.
Old Jan 25th, 2018

Quote:
I'm sorry but, you can't be serious? Show me a TV show on any streaming service that has better picture quality than the same title on Kaleidescape. The audio quality alone is enough for me to keep watching on Kaleidescape but the picture quality is night and day better on the Kaleidescape as well.

I do agree about the interface and I believe they will get it sorted.

You also mention about your collections since putting in a Strato; as far as I know this is being fixed in the next kOS release.
I reckon your 'farting against thunder' on this one mate. Off the top of my head - the following aren't even offered in HD, therefore are all available with better picture quality (even highly compressed) than their SD versions. Audio quality - for me is less critical on TV viewing

Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Suits
Mike & Molly
Rescue Me

The limited title releases and delay in receiving them, means K are not even close to being a viable alternative to 'streaming' - in TV content. I'm not sure where their customer base is with these titles and frankly they seem a waste of time.

I never use K for any of my TV consumption and can understand where Josh is coming from. The alternatives are just more convenient and at least on a par with much of K's offerings.

Last edited by steelman1991; Jan 25th, 2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
I reckon your 'farting against thunder' on this one mate. Off the top of my head - the following aren't even offered in HD, therefore are all available with better picture quality (even highly compressed) than their SD versions. Audio quality - for me is less critical on TV viewing

Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Suits
Mike & Molly
Rescue Me

The limited title releases and delay in receiving them, means K are not even close to being a viable alternative to 'streaming' - in TV content. I'm not sure where their customer base is with these titles and frankly they seem a waste of time.

I never use K for any of my TV consumption and can understand where Josh is coming from. The alternatives are just more convenient and at least on a par with much of K's offerings.
I meant like for like e.g. SD vs SD, HD vs HD even some of K's HD stuff looks better than the stuff places say is 4K.

But* you are right that the TV side of things needs some TLC or if they can't compete just ditch it.
Old Jan 25th, 2018

Quote:
But* you are right that the TV side of things needs some TLC or if they can't compete allow for greater local database changes.
Fixed. I never want that original ending on the table (ask someone who used to have K for music.)
Old Feb 7th, 2018

I still have all of the seasons of Gilmore Girls displaying individually... sure would be cool if there was just the most recent cover art and a secondary menu to select seasons.
Old Feb 11th, 2018

I'm with Steelman... when i said that Netflix and others have TV series that look as good, or in some cases better, than what you can play on Kaleidescape, I was referring to HD and 4K streaming series that never came out in HD (much less 4k) on disk or in the K store.

Sure - I'm with you mbmapit that if a series was mastered well on BD (or proper files given to K for store delivery), then yes it will likely be better quality than a streaming service, but Netflix is getting many more BD and 4K TV series (or commissioning their own that may never come to disk or BD) and the quality has gotten pretty damn good. Have you actually tried NF4K on a 4K Apple TV to a good 4K display? It's surprisingly good.

Netflix has the Ultra 4K Planet Earth II, and it's stunning. Yes, probably looks slightly better on 4K BD, but you can't play that on a Kaleidescape, and they don't have it in the K store, so there's no way you'll get a better picture of that great series on Kaleidescape vs. Netflix. Same for The Crown, Ozark, Better Call Saul (in UHD4K), Stranger Things II, Breaking Bad, Dark, Black Mirror, Gilmore Girls (reboot), Narcos... plenty more.

Last edited by josh; Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2018

Bumping...