Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Feature & Enhancement Requests

Old Feb 27th, 2015

This seems like something a lot of people want- still nothing from K?
Old Feb 28th, 2015

nothing. Disappointing, but not surprising. They're just not a company that comments about future features. Wish in this case they'd just acknowledge it's an issue and say if they are working on it, but they don't tend to operate this way.

If you've seen the new Tivo software released this past week, the new OnePass system is pretty amazing... aggregates every season of every show into a single entry, and searches across recorded shows, cable VOD, Hulu, Hulu+, and Netflix, and presents every episode from every season that is available to you. Click any episode, and it finds it via whatever means possible and it just plays.

My days of storing and accessing TV series on Kaleidescape (much less buying them from the store) are rapidly coming to an end due to the antiquated and inconvenient interface and their years-long lack of listening to what users want. AppleTV, Tivo, and Netflix make continual changes and improvements in response to the rapid rise of TV show consumption. Kaleidescape doesn't.

Last edited by josh; Feb 28th, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old Mar 2nd, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
If you've seen the new Tivo software released this past week, the new OnePass system is pretty amazing... aggregates every season of every show into a single entry, and searches across recorded shows, cable VOD, Hulu, Hulu+, and Netflix, and presents every episode from every season that is available to you. Click any episode, and it finds it via whatever means possible and it just plays.
What OnePass system software update this week? *reads link* Roamio-only? *shakes fist* You bastards.
Old Mar 3rd, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
If you've seen the new Tivo software released this past week, the new OnePass system is pretty amazing...
K used to be pretty amazing... they appear to be getting left behind.
Old May 8th, 2015

Bumping to see if this has been addressed.... I love seeing all seven seasons of Gilmore girls with their covers...
Old May 26th, 2015

If you've read all my posts on it, this is my #1 frustration of using Kaleidescape, and has severely impacted my family's use of the system, and therefore my willingness to keep investing in kaleidescape gear.

It's laughable, embarrassing, and practically unusable now to watch TV series on Kaleidescape if you have lots of seasons of popular shows. The UI just becomes cluttered and unwieldy. We just use Tivo now instead and it's pretty much magical. Or Netflix. Both have addressed this problem a long time ago.

I'm surprised Kaleidescape has had no improvement on this, no comment if it's coming, or solicitation of feedback on this. This is the #1 topic on this forum area, with 11,500+ reads and 35 replies, almost entirely supportive of a redesign on this feature.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised... they've never implemented features due to user requests here on this forum or elsewhere. they do what they want, if and when they want it. It's not exactly a user-responsive company. Had hoped it would be different with Cheena as the new CEO, but such is not the case.

Last edited by josh; May 26th, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old May 26th, 2015

Josh, I complete agree with everything you're saying. I first found out about Kaleidescape about 1 year ago. It was exactly what I'd been looking; high quality digital movies with great bonus feature support.

Unfortunately, the price was simply too high. I thought I'd wait to see if the price came down. I was super excited when the Alto was announced earlier this year, but at $2,500 it was still a bit too high, especially without full UV support from all studios and DMA support from Disney. I have a huge digital collection, so full studio digital rights support is a must for me. Not to mention that bonus feature support has really started to be lacking. I love bonus features and that was what initially drew my attention to K.

With all that being said, the one thing that has been the most disappointing to me with following K closely for the last year is that there has been essentially zero innovation. The Alto is just a rebranded Cinema One and as far as I know there haven't been any major updates to the operating system. I can see from this thread that there are many others that feel the same.

Hopefully K is listening to it's current and potential customers on these issues.

Last edited by billygreen23; May 26th, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 1st, 2015

I now have four separate covers for My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic. All four seasons. Wouldn't mind if they were one cover with the option of selecting any episode from any season from the main cover...
Old Jun 1st, 2015

I have a client who has every season of all the star trek shows. I cannot imagine how useless the cover function is for that part and also how much ST he has to scroll through to get to another title - I think it is 26 seasons or so.

I guess we need to perhaps just email these requests to Kaleidescape since they are not really responding to this thread...
Old Jun 30th, 2015

They do monitor these forums. They just ignore any user suggestions here. To be honest, this whole forum section is pretty useless and probably should just be removed. But it's a place to vent frustrations.

I doubt emailing will help but go for it. Let us know what you hear. We won't hold our breath.

Last edited by josh; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 04:59 PM.