Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Feature & Enhancement Requests

Old Jan 6th, 2014

Counting all this in my collection started taking far too long (only made it through D or E, forget which, and that is only of the stuff imported,) but if I recall the store is showing 500-something TV titles. Granted a lot of those are 1-shot kids titles they may decide are more like specials/movies that do not [currently] condense. However, it would be nice if they remembered providing a flexiible & convenient content management system is one of their primary goals ("The Experience" is the first subsection on their website afterall) even if the content being managed is not always theatrical. Not that there aren't an increasing number of movie-franchises that are starting to get up there in releases.
Old Jan 7th, 2014

Fast way to count:

Export movies to Excel

Sort by genre

Go to beginning of television and scroll down to end of television, highlighting a column and check the count on your status bar in excel. Figuring how many series takes a little longer but is fast with them grouped by genre and then alphabetized.
Old Jan 8th, 2014

As a starting point, sure. However, between titles that have a primary genre other than TV (or the few that shouldn't use TV,) all the multi-volume sets that aren't consolidated because they haven't been loaned yet, and then adding back those not imported are leading to a significant adjustment.

Exporting to Excel makes the process faster but it still takes time to tag the individual lines & note seasons per franchise.
Old Jan 9th, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Fast way to count:

Export movies to Excel

Sort by genre

Go to beginning of television and scroll down to end of television, highlighting a column and check the count on your status bar in excel. Figuring how many series takes a little longer but is fast with them grouped by genre and then alphabetized.
I tried this and this is really quick and easy. It was especially useful to me on organizing my music since I have 3 times as many albums as movies (used to be 6X so I am making progress on the movie side).

John
Old Jan 7th, 2015

Anyone have a response from K on this request?
Old Jan 22nd, 2015

COME ON Kaleidescape! I still believe this is the single biggest flaw with the entire Kaleidescape system. Why is there STILL no proper handling (grouping, to be more accurate) of multi-disk TV series into a single title?
This CAN'T be that hard...

Really wish I'd just hear that they're working on this and it will come at some point. Netflix and AppleTV handled this properly YEARS ago.

Old Jan 30th, 2015

I would like to see a separate section completely for TV, much like the AppleTV interface, as others have mentioned. So, you would have a Music section, Movies section, and TV section. This would by itself be particularly useful for those that have large TV libraries as previously commented, and should be pretty simple to introduce.

Beyond, that, I'd like for the user to be able to consolidate titles. This would handle the TV problem, and some other movies as well. For instance, the Extended versions of the Lord of the Rings movies contain two Blu Ray discs for the feature and then 3 or 4 DVDs of bonus material per title. Presently, the system separates each movie into two entries, one for the DVD bonus material and one for the Blu Ray feature. I'd like to be able to merge the bonus material entries into the Feature title, so only one movie title appears in the list. And for TV series, the user could then merge each season into one title, and select his/her preferred cover art, select a TV series to view, and then the seasons propagate on the next screen.
Old Jan 31st, 2015

I think the truly biggest flaw is the lack of HD Audio decoding but I understand your point.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I think the truly biggest flaw is the lack of HD Audio decoding but I understand your point.
yes, it's a contender for sure.

But it's my belief that the TV interface change suggested will be a big enhancement of the experience for a very large percentage of Kaleidescape owners, something they'll notice and appreciate every day. The HD Audio decoding is an extremely important feature for a small number of owners. I'd bet 90% of K owners would never know, request, use, or appreciate it if it were there. That said, Kaleidescape has always designed systems to be aimed at the high end aficionado, and for that reason, the highest-end audio decoding should be offered.

Old Feb 4th, 2015

HD Audio - big development but would be nice as would the ability to use audio stored 'outside' of an attached player a real plus as whilst audio quality is good it is not the best by a long way so I use K-Music for ambiance music but never for 'serious' listening. I have all my music duplicated (ripped & HD downloaded) stored in FLAC on another server that is for my hifi listening.

A TV series interface as suggested would be great as having around 1000 TV series on my system I find it frustrating at the lack of this and having TV series treated like individual DVD's / Films