Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Feb 10th, 2010

A bit of information missing about the early system.

The first system sold consisted of a KPLAYER-2000, KSERVER-2000 and KREADER-2000. These products were updated with switching power supplies to allow them to work with both 110v and 220v and were given the designation 2000E (to facilitate exporting to countries that use 220v) - KPLAYER-2000E, KSERVER-2000E and KREADER-2000E.

The KPLAYER-2000 and KPLAYER-2000E lack an HDMI port, and have exposed "Service" and USB ports on the back panel. These players also feature BNC connections for RGBHV, however the HV ports were never enabled and the RGB ports are used for component video (Y, Pb, Pr). The KPLAYER-2500 added an HDMI port, removed the HV ports, unused USB port and exposed Service port and was referred to as the "digital player" (due to the HDMI output). The earlier player was subsequently referred to as the "analog player."

The KSERVER-2000 and KSERVER-2000E had only fast Ethernet network ports and were limited to only 7 simultaneous streams of SD video or 2 streams of HD. The KSERVER-2500 featured a gigabit Ethernet port which allowed it to support 25 streams of SD video. Later servers have more processing power enabling an even higher number of simultaneous streams.

Initially, the KREADER-2000 was replaced by the KMUSIC-4000, which did everything the reader did but added 4 music-only zones for about the same price. Some time later, the KPLAYER-5000 was released removing the need for a separate reader. Later software updates allowed the KPLAYER-5000 to play disks without importing, a big improvement for users who rent content.
___

Please note that I no longer work for Kaleidescape and this is not an official history but only my recollections from my tenure there.
Old Feb 10th, 2010

Thanks for the history lesson Ian, it lays out K's early evolution nicely.

Jim
Old Feb 14th, 2010

extremely helpful Ian! definitely fills in some missing information that will be helpful to people here. (Especially marketplace buyers/sellers of the earlier models).

--josh

Old May 17th, 2010

Updated on May 17th.
Added the M series players. The M500 and the M300
My Fiber Based Crestron DM System
Old Aug 3rd, 2010

Default August 3, 2010 Update

Added The Following
Links to download KEAOS version release notes. Currently the release note are for KEAOS v2.4, 3.0 & 3.2 - 3.8. Version 4 will be added once I receive it.
My Fiber Based Crestron DM System
Old Dec 10th, 2010

Default M500 & 5u

I am new and would like to know if the 5u can take only hd 750gb or can it take 14 2TB and work with the M500?
Old Dec 10th, 2010

Hello and Welcome

The 5u servers can only handle a maximum of a 750GB drive. The 2TB drives are for the 3u server only and are physically a different size drive.

Yes, the 5u server is compatible with the new M500 and M300 blu-ray players.
Old May 22nd, 2011

Default Cinema One Processor

What processor is used by the Cinema One? I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere. Is it also a Gennum VXP 10 bit as the others? My projector indicates that it is only 8 bit.
Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2014

If the OP is still interested, there are several minor updates to this thread that could bring it up to date.

We are currently on KEAOS v6.0.0

There are 4TB drives available for the 1U and 3U servers, as well as 1TB drives for the 5U servers.

The Alto is about to be on the market, and probably needs some love.

There is no mention of the soon-to-be-phased-out Cinema One.
Old Nov 21st, 2018

According to another recent post the 1U (K1500) and 3U (K5000) can probably take up to the 6TB disks, while the 1U+ (K1550) can do up to 10TB disks. I also didn't notice whether the M700/DV700 were mentioned, as the M700 is both a player and a vault.