Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Kaleidescape Store

Old Nov 20th, 2018

This list is now 6 pages long. Even studios that provide Atmos are now skipping that. What is going on?

I know the usual spiel about it’s not K, it’s the studios. But K has a responsibility to its customers to let them know what the plan is for these titles.

If we get it, we will give it to you does not cut it. Let us know the titles that will receive the updates, titles that won’t and a rough timeframe for getting these updated. I see no point in buying discs in addition to having K system and praying every time a new release comes in that they will have full immersive audio.

Give us a timeframe. At least an answer on which titles are being actively worked on and which ones won’t get an update.

This prolonged silence is extremely frustrating and needs to be addressed. Many K customers are running out of patience.
Old Nov 20th, 2018

Excellent post - but don't get your hopes up on a reply of any substance, or even a recognition of the problem.

I'm afraid I'm one of those customer who has run out of patience. I have a recently purchased Terra server which I will use to continue to populate with titles which provide a full audio/video experience, but will now purchase other titles from other retailers, and rip to my NAS for playback.

Not my preferred option, but one I feel I am being forced into with the situation as it exists.
Old Nov 20th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

We understand your frustration and feel terrible about it.

Kaleidescape's HD titles are almost always sourced from the original Blu-ray Disc. If this has the lossless immersive soundtrack, our movies will offer the same.

Kaleidescape's UHD and HDR titles are sourced from mezzanine files. These master files are often the source files for the discs, but the workflow for digital and physical products vary greatly within the different studios.

The majority of the titles you cite as lacking immersive audio support are with two major studios. These studios very much appreciate and understand your needs and are working to provide us with Dolby Master files so that we can offer those titles with immersive audio support. We expected this to happen this fall, and continue to work with their operations team to make this possible.

We've also been too busy with onboarding a couple of important content brands and this has caused a resource contention to process the immersive audio formats for titles from the other studios on the list. We're also aware of titles which will never receive immersive audio support because there is no digital file for the same.

The best thing is for us to share a list of titles in the works for immersive audio support, those which will never receive it and those where we are anticipating the files from the content owners. Giving you a date will cause us to lose credibility as we don't control the time when we will have something to work with.

I can assure you that lossless immersive audio support is a brand differentiator. We take this very seriously. Being the only retailer to offer such support means that we are asking much from the content owners for an important, discerning but small customer base.

I hope this sheds some light and hope that we're hearing you loud and clear. We'll gladly share more information when we are ready to do so.
Old Nov 21st, 2018

Thanks @cheena - appreciate you taking the time and effort to come back with an answer.

I certainly know, I for one don't need a timescale for completion on individual titles, but it would be nice if just the occasional title 'slipped' through. Titles in that thread have been lying stagnant for so long, and there was little to no official comment which was frustrating for all of us (well at least those who have atmos systems), particularly where the physical disc was available with a full compliment of audio and video.

Not quite sure what a "mezzanine title" is?

Thanks again for interjecting and providing background to what - for me at least - had become an issue.
Old Nov 21st, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Not quite sure what a "mezzanine title" is?
Online Video Mezzanine File Spec Released
Old Nov 21st, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheena View Post
We understand your frustration and feel terrible about it.

Kaleidescape's HD titles are almost always sourced from the original Blu-ray Disc. If this has the lossless immersive soundtrack, our movies will offer the same.

Kaleidescape's UHD and HDR titles are sourced from mezzanine files. These master files are often the source files for the discs, but the workflow for digital and physical products vary greatly within the different studios.

The majority of the titles you cite as lacking immersive audio support are with two major studios. These studios very much appreciate and understand your needs and are working to provide us with Dolby Master files so that we can offer those titles with immersive audio support. We expected this to happen this fall, and continue to work with their operations team to make this possible.

We've also been too busy with onboarding a couple of important content brands and this has caused a resource contention to process the immersive audio formats for titles from the other studios on the list. We're also aware of titles which will never receive immersive audio support because there is no digital file for the same.

The best thing is for us to share a list of titles in the works for immersive audio support, those which will never receive it and those where we are anticipating the files from the content owners. Giving you a date will cause us to lose credibility as we don't control the time when we will have something to work with.

I can assure you that lossless immersive audio support is a brand differentiator. We take this very seriously. Being the only retailer to offer such support means that we are asking much from the content owners for an important, discerning but small customer base.

I hope this sheds some light and hope that we're hearing you loud and clear. We'll gladly share more information when we are ready to do so.
Cheena,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and share the background. Very much appreciated.

I think the part in bold is exactly what is needed. Even if there is no timeframe, at least a list of titles being worked on, the titles waiting on content owners and those that will never receive an update will be perfect.

I am assuming that those that donít have digital files do not have immersive audio on disc either. As long as K can bring the content on parity with discs, that would be great. Anything extra is a bonus and shines a light on K as a differentiator.

But sharing the list would be a great first step.

Also, would it be possible to share similar info on Movies Anywhere support? This is the other piece where K is lagging. With MA support and immersive audio parity with discs, K would be on a different level given the lack of need for discs but having the same quality and the excellent interface.
Old Nov 21st, 2018

http://www.entmerch.org/digitalema/d...20513_slid.pdf, i think he means this ����... vudu and itunes both have uhd atmos for mission impossible, kstore does not
Old Nov 21st, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygreen23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbernheim View Post
http://www.entmerch.org/digitalema/d...20513_slid.pdf, i think he means this ����... vudu and itunes both have uhd atmos for mission impossible, kstore does not
Thanks folks
Old Nov 21st, 2018

I think it's worth mentioning that there's concern of content lacking Atmos, but I also believe there are some number of titles that may not have Atmos/DTS:X coming, but could be 7.1 instead of 5.1.

I also second @20hertz comment politely asking for a similar statement about MA and K.
Old Nov 21st, 2018

Perhaps this is a good time to re-ask another audio question that nobody has been able to adequately answer, and which continues to annoy:

Why are many of the Star Wars titles in the K store missing the surround back channel(s)? On disc, these titles come with 6.1 or 7.1 audio; but, in the K store, they're 5.1.

One is left to presume that it is "the studio," but...what the hell? To what end?

And, these are HD titles, which Cheena says are typically sourced from the Blu-ray disc. Either, not in these cases; or, lost in translation.

Frustrating.