Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Tips, Tricks & Discoveries

Old May 7th, 2017

Default Subtitles

How do I set the Kaleidescape to show appropriate subtitles (not all the time - only when relevant)? For example, I am watching a film and there are a couple of minutes when they are speaking Russian and you would normally see subtitles on a normal DVD/bluray player but they didn't appear.

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Those are what are called "forced" subtitles. It should work by default, but it's possible that there's an error in the bookmarking.

What was the movie?

In general, for English speaking customers, I suggest setting the system to a language preference of English, and setting the subtitle setting to display English subtitles if the spoken language is not English. This is done through the browser interface on Premiere systems, and through the onscreen settings interface on Cinema One and Encore players.
Old May 8th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
Those are what are called "forced" subtitles. It should work by default, but it's possible that there's an error in the bookmarking.

What was the movie?

In general, for English speaking customers, I suggest setting the system to a language preference of English, and setting the subtitle setting to display English subtitles if the spoken language is not English. This is done through the browser interface on Premiere systems, and through the onscreen settings interface on Cinema One and Encore players.

Thanks Mike - I'll have a look at the settings. The movie was Hunt for Red October.
Old May 8th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Was that DVD or Blu-ray disc?
Old May 8th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

For what it's worth, I have this Blu-ray disc imported on my Premiere system. I played it on my M300 this evening both with my usual setting (Preferred language English; Prefer to hear original audio; Subtitles if original language is not English), and with no preferred language. I saw the forced subtitles in both cases.

Please let me know whether this is a DVD or a Blu-ray disc. If yours is a Blu-ray, it's possible that you have a different version than I do, and there may be a bookmarking change needed.
Old May 9th, 2017

Thanks Mike. It is a DVD (no upgrade available in the store!). I looked at my settings and nothing was set in the language settings so I changed to the same settings as you above. I tried playing it again but still no subtitles but perhaps I need the player (M700) to reboot for the settings to apply? I'll try again another time. Thanks for your help
Old May 9th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

The setting takes effect the next time you play something. (So, if you make the setting while something is playing, you won't see a change, but if you stop and start again, you would.)

Could you send me a PM with the serial number of your server? I'll ask the Media Guide team to check on the bookmark for your DVD to see if it needs updating.
Old Jun 5th, 2017

Mike, I see Spanish subtitles intermittently for certain signage in occasional films. Examples include "Sopranos" (Los Sopranos at the start of an episode) and "A View to A Kill". Its certainly infrequent but very odd.