Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Scripting & Favorite Scenes

Old May 9th, 2017

Default Scripting on Strato (Tips Please!)

I started playing with scripts on my Strato. Love the feature, but I am curious as to whether I can improve upon my results.

As an experiment, I created three scenes of short clips with great visuals (HDR) and sound (Atmos). I led off each scene with the movie's cover art (nice feature BTW), but I found two things that diminished the result...

First, there was an approximately five second blank screen "delay" between each cover and the associated scene (but no delay between the scene and next cover). Is this normal?

Second, the transitions in some cases were abrupt because of sound cutoff (no audio fade option that I can see). I can obviously choose my edit points more carefully to minimize this - but any other tips?

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2017

I do scripting with a Premiere system so was going to let people with Stratos comment first. However, with the lack of response I will jump in.

When I play scripts with scenes from different movies, I get anywhere from 3 to 6 secound delays between scenes. When I play scripts between screens from the same movie, I get 1-2 second delays. All of this is with HD content. My memory is that SD content was always faster (but it's been a while).

I have always assumed that the delay is due to buffering of content to ensure that things play flawlessly (which they always do).

I thought that going to 4K would require longer buffering and hence longer delays. From what you are getting, it sounds like delays are similar.

The transitions will be abrupt - sound and video cut off right where you set it.

Neither the delays or abrupt cutoffs ever bothered me. I was just thrilled to have this capability that I had never had before. The one thing that I wish I had was a random play option like is available with music on the Premiere system (I do a lot of scripts of songs/scenes from concerts).

John
Old May 11th, 2017

Thanks – that is very helpful. That tells me that what I am encountering is entirely normal and to be expected.

To be clear – I am also very happy to have this capability on the Strato. It is yet another unique benefit of the Kaleidescape system (and great fun to play with).

My “engineering brain” of course is thinking through how the feature could be optimized to make it even better!