Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Dec 23rd, 2012

Default Kaleidescape Store - For Music?

Does anyone know if music content will be added to the Kstore?

I would be interested in either straight CD or music video / concert style.

Cheers
Old Dec 24th, 2012

That could be really cool- also it would be cool if higher resolution than CD would be supported.
Old Dec 28th, 2012

fantastic idea. and the record labels are (finally) much more accommodating than movie studios in terms of online purchase partners. I hope K is working on this. What a nice addition it would be.

Old Dec 29th, 2012

Looks like K is already doing this. If you buy the "Essential Collection" is contains both movies and music.

URL = https://www.kaleidescape.com/movies/...?id=KCOLL-1500
Old Dec 30th, 2012

Thats not really their online download store- thats something you can buy which gets sent to you on transport discs or "pre installed" with a new system.
Old Dec 31st, 2012

I guess the question is would you be willing to buy music if it could only be played on the K system? Would they sell lossless / hi res ? Think the music industry would be wary of that if it could be ported off the system.

I opted to avoid using the K for music. I run a dedicated Macbook Pro laptop running Amarra software and a Drobo RAID holding the music. An Ayre DAC sends analog into my pre-pro. Allows hi res music too. Simple solution and also feeds iPods painlessly.
Old Dec 31st, 2012

If it still syncs with iTunes, I'd have an mp3 copy on my pc that I can do whatever with.
Old Dec 31st, 2012

Thats a great solution Big Hat. I have not seen the Amarra software. I hate to say it but my music listening isnt really expanding like it used to- most of the things I like I have already and I have them in parallel between K and iTunes. However, I would go with AnOutsider's suggestion of having an MP3/AAC or whatever type copy for iDevices or other devices. .....
Old Dec 31st, 2012

Most of you guys have been involved with this system longer than I have, but it always seemed to me that having a very secure system devoid of a content porting option is what has enticed the movie industry to play along with K.

The more I think about it the less I care about a music option. Frankly, if the K-store didn't promise B_R content in the future I really couldn't care less about that either. The value of the store to me is very simple -- a B_R movie added to my system without the "expense" of occupying a space in an M700 that basically costs me an additional $20. Very little reason to buy a SD DVD online and the same goes for music.

What's so hard about taking a minute to burn a CD onto the K system and another minute to iTunes and still have a hard copy handy for anything else you'd like to do with it? I confess to buying a 256k iTunes song now and then, but if it's an "album" I want, I buy it and burn it lossless. Even my iPods are mostly lossless. Of course, to each their own. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the pros and cons a bit better.
Old Dec 31st, 2012

Thats pretty much what I think as well. The problem comes with getting content bought in iTunes into the KSystem. I simply dont bring much of it in as most of that content is played in the car or gym and I dont really need the K music for it. When I buy a CD I actually make a 192kps MP3 out of it, and a AIFF and then into K system. This way I have a perfect back up on my computer and the MP3. I stuck with MP3 for compatibility reasons. I dont really hear a difference to lossless on an iPod in the car / gym.