Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Apr 19th, 2017

Default HDR Movie Tag or HDR Picture Correction for Projectors

When displaying HDR material on a projector, we are having to manually change the projector's picture memory for HDR movies. Similar to the Aspect Ratio tags, the Control Protocol needs the addition of HDR tag.

Another option would be to have picture controls in the Strato to make adjustments for a brighter HDR picture. Firmware updates to Sony and Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players have added HDR brightness setting specifically for projectors.
Old Apr 19th, 2017

This is a great idea!
Old Apr 20th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Good news! This is coming in the next kOS update on Encore systems. There's a new GET_VIDEO_COLOR command that includes HDR/SDR, color space, bit depth and chroma sampling information.

The protocol documentation will be updated accordingly.
Old Apr 20th, 2017

Great News Mike!

Hopefully the third party control drivers will be updated too.
https://www.kaleidescape.com/support/control-systems/
Old Apr 25th, 2017

The most benefit would be an HDR Brightness adjustment like the Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-ray Player. This allows the user to adjust HDR brightness and make the change from HDR to SDR seamless. The benefit of this feature for a device that mixes SDR and HDR content is a big plus. With Netflix, the transition from SDR TV show to HDR TV show is seamless on the projector with an HDR Brightness setting of +5 on the Panasonic.

If you could add the HDR brightness adjustment to Component Advanced Setting of the Strato, it would be great and really simplify the use of the Strato with a Projector and mixed SDR/HDR content.

The Get_Video_Color tag would be nice to have, but it will create a delay with having to gather the information and then execute the commands via automation system.

HDR Brightness Feature could be used by everyone, and not have to rely on automation system or end user making picture adjustments.
Old May 12th, 2017

One of the two things keeping me from adding a Strato is that my projector (JVC RS500 ) and low gain screen don't like HDR so I watch in SDR/WCG - which settings in my Oppo allow me to do. Will the features noted above eventually allow K to provide equivalent settings as the Oppo (and Panasonic and ...) have?