Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old 3 Weeks Ago

K has decided to extend the Promo until the end of the year (Dec. 2019). (Subject to pricing changes.)

Jim
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Conflicted

Long time K-scape owner and have loved the platform. I never opted into Disney and have resisted the 4K jump because I love the concept of owning my discs and having the complete ability to import any purchased disc I want into my system. Period. I never wanted to give that up.

I'm conflicted because I see these promotions, I have a 3U system with multiple BD players and a vault - and I don't even know if any of this equipment I own is supported. I don't know what happens if I start losing drives. Can I get replacements? Or, are these promotions being pushed because there will no longer be Premiere support and I'll HAVE to jump onto the new stuff?

And with the big push on streaming, I don't know that k-scape will have the stature to keep up with premiere content in their store. All this while I would have no ability to import my own 4K material.

Is the 4K k-scape experience THAT much better than an Apple TV/Roku/etc 4K experience? Or is this the dying gasp of a bygone era of ripping and owning your own content? If the quality/performance delta from streaming platforms is significant, I might just take the plunge. Again - I'm conflicted. Any thoughts?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Is the 4K k-scape experience THAT much better than an Apple TV/Roku/etc 4K experience? Or is this the dying gasp of a bygone era of ripping and owning your own content? If the quality/performance delta from streaming platforms is significant, I might just take the plunge. Again - I'm conflicted. Any thoughts?
There's a lot to discuss there and some of the K technical others are better qualified to comment.

As someone who thought very much along you're lines I loved having my own discs, especially when many older and classic titles might not be available on Streaming, 4K disc, or maybe even BD.

But at the point that I goto 3000 titles it was too much to have them all. For the most part the days of showing off stereo equipment is gone, and likewise showing off a wall of discs. I'm sure some will argue otherwise, esp. the collectors.

But I've got more than I can watch and while ripping them all was also a phase I think that's largely gone. It was too much time, too much effort, too many drive failures (not K system) over the multiple years. Streaming with Roku / Apple TV just became to easy and offered a good enough solution, for the time.

Vudu offers a lot and makes it easy to find what you're looking for, but has never been up to the ripped level interface, searching, etc; that's where K stream and download came along, for me. Disc (or better quality), wonderful interface, great searching and all while being almost as simple, sans the downloads times and non instant streaming.

I can say I have pretty much everything at the house multiple Roku, multiple Nvidia Shield TV, multiple Apple TV, Tivo, K-Scape.

The Roku gets a lot of use for ease of use, access to Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Vudu. I don't watch regular TV much at all anymore.

For me I don't collect discs anymore, thus I don't rip anymore, but I also want access to much of my collection so it's all in the cloud. It's not for everyone and I'm sure the cloud won't last forever. UltraViolet is a good example, but so far not much of an issue. For now streaming and cloud serves me just fine. Depending on your collection size and fact that you are still storing on drives a Strato + Terra might fit you best.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
K has decided to extend the Promo until the end of the year (Dec. 2019). (Subject to pricing changes.)

Jim
THANK YOU!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Long time K-scape owner and have loved the platform. I never opted into Disney and have resisted the 4K jump because I love the concept of owning my discs and having the complete ability to import any purchased disc I want into my system. Period. I never wanted to give that up.

I'm conflicted because I see these promotions, I have a 3U system with multiple BD players and a vault - and I don't even know if any of this equipment I own is supported. I don't know what happens if I start losing drives. Can I get replacements? Or, are these promotions being pushed because there will no longer be Premiere support and I'll HAVE to jump onto the new stuff?

And with the big push on streaming, I don't know that k-scape will have the stature to keep up with premiere content in their store. All this while I would have no ability to import my own 4K material.

Others have already addressed your question on differences in quality, I'll just add that those services are all fine for most viewers, especially with normal sized displays and non-critical viewing, but many of us have large screens and are always seeking the best image, so for us K is still the best option.

Regarding your components, I don't know the warranty status but K only supports (meaning repair/replace) components that are still under warranty. They no longer have a repair service in the traditional sense. If a component is out-of-warranty, the only options are:

1. Buy spare parts if they exist and do the repair yourself (or have a computer repair biz do it for you).

2. If available at K, purchase a remanufactured component (-R). You must return the defective component to K. Not all components are covered, they do not offer this option for the older components, and it's based on availability.

3. Trade-in the components for an upgrade, if possible.

4. Buy new.

I think it's clear to most Premiere owners by now (at least those on forums), that the Premiere components are slowly being phased out. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Premiere components are still being offered by this time next year. My advice for Premiere owners looking to keep their systems operational in the coming years is to pick up some inventory pieces to use if something fails (power supplies, drives, spare components).

The 6TB drives for 1U/3U servers is still available.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
1. Yes. 2. No. 3: Take the plunge. Nothing cooler than putting up a 4K HDR image from a really good movie bought and playing off your local server. Hearing one of your friends says “Whoa! That is better than netflix!” is also particularly satisfying!
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
I think it's clear to most Premiere owners by now (at least those on forums), that the Premiere components are slowly being phased out. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Premiere components are still being offered by this time next year. My advice for Premiere owners looking to keep their systems operational in the coming years is to pick up some inventory pieces to use if something fails (power supplies, drives, spare components).

The 6TB drives for 1U/3U servers is still available.

Jim
That is too bad. I bought into K with the idea that I could have a system that could play all my movies. With the Store only having about half of the movies I own the combination of the Strato and Premier was the only way to achieve this benefit. The end of the Premier line would mean that for those of us that have a large collection of movies we will need to maintain devices that compete for our movie time, lessening the K value proposition.

I'll hope the premier lasts longer or as you suggest begin purchasing spare parts.

Question, how would one go about transferring disc imported movies that are not available in the Store from a 3U that uses 6TB drives to a 1U+? Doing so would at least allow someone to migrate to a currently K supported device.
Old 1 Week Ago

You can Replicate content from the 3U to the 1U+, but obviously you'll need to replicate within the storage limits of the 1U+. You can temporarily move content you do not want to replicate into your Trash, and then recover after Replication, in order to restrict what is replicated.

Jim