Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Mar 19th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Default Question from Kaleidescape: How do you use the iPad App?

Greetings all!

As has been mentioned here already, the 1.9 version of our iPad App was recently released, with support for Co-Star and some other nice new features and bug fixes.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask you how you use the iPad app. Are you using it for movies? Music? Both? Do you play scenes & songs? Do you use the app as a "second screen" while media is playing?

What features do you love?

What features could you live without?

Any other feedback?
Old Mar 20th, 2018

It used for movies and scenes. I would like to be able to create collections, purchase movies from the Kaleidescape Store, and have more filter options.

Creating the collections from the web browser is okay but I want to be able to sit at the dealing and work on my collection. It’s easier, for me, to manipulate on the iPad.

Purchase movies - I know it’s coming.

Advanced filtering. Would like to see smart filtering. Make a collection that auto populated based on the metadata of each movie file that is added. Use case 2.40:1 films in Dolby Atmos, every new film that meet that criteria is added to a smart collection list. Another would be Disney Movies in 1.33:1. Last one, Jennifer Anniston Films. Much of this can be done in the online store and it maybe a part of the next update.

thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Let's please discuss on a separate thread if you like. [Edit: question moved to its own thread, thanks!]
Old Mar 20th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
Let's please discuss on a separate thread if you like.
Discuss what?
Old Mar 23rd, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Thanks, Bill, for the feedback and suggestions!

In the iPad today, you can tap on a cast member or director to see their other movies. I know it's not the sophisticated filtering you're looking for, but it's a start!
Old Mar 23rd, 2018

So, this suggestion isn’t all that important, but...

You should ditch the chrome-like border on the app icon. Just solid black with the Kaleidescape icon would fit in much better with the current “flat” UI.
Old Mar 26th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
Greetings all!

As has been mentioned here already, the 1.9 version of our iPad App was recently released, with support for Co-Star and some other nice new features and bug fixes.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask you how you use the iPad app. Are you using it for movies? Music? Both? Do you play scenes & songs? Do you use the app as a "second screen" while media is playing?

What features do you love?

What features could you live without?

Any other feedback?
Main items that I use the app for (in rank order):

1. For labeling scenes that I mark (and I mark a lot of them), I use the app almost exclusively. It's a lot easier that the browser interface and much, much easier than trying to use the OSD. I also have a suggestion for the OSD portion below (note 1).

2. Display and control for music (CD's) on my 3U system. I don’t want to waste hours on my projector just listening to music. I also do this a times when I am playing a script of scenes/songs from my concerts when I just want to listen and don't care about watching.

3. Let guests use to pick a movie to watch. The app is great in that I can pick a collection (“Newest Releases”, “HDR”, "Child", etc.) and then go to cover art of just titles in that collection for guests to peruse. I can’t do this by collection in the on screen display. It also allows me to play demo scenes while everyone is deciding on a movie.

Like:
1. Integrated app where I can pick either my Premiere (3U) or Strato from inside the app.

2. Play scripts from the app. I don’t know if this was added to this version or was in the previous version and I just missed it. I have over 20 scripts on my 3U server and am adding to my Strato constantly. This ability makes it a lot easier to see them and play them. I had made a screen on my control system with buttons that would play my top 10 scripts. Now I don't need these and it was taking up a lot of space on the panel.

Bugs:
It still shows ALL movies in the “New” collection from the Strato. My 3U server just shows the new titles based on how it is set. This may be a limitation on the Strato side.

Note 1: When marking scenes on the OSC it would be nice if the screen for labeling the scene would have the curser default to the “Done” key instead of the "A" (doing this from memory) so that I don't have move to the right for 6 spaces before reaching the "Done" key and pressing "Enter". Also, is there a network command for the "Done" for marking scenes? I couldn't find one.

John
Old Apr 1st, 2018

Default Random Scenes and Songs

I would love to be able to have the system play random scenes or songs. The ability to see which movies have scenes and songs is a favorite feature of the app, but to play them randomly would be a huge addition.
Old Apr 24th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback so far!

Roderick, do you envision playing random scenes from the entire library, or randomizing the scenes/songs from a particular title?
Old Apr 24th, 2018

I would love to do it for songs and/or scenes from my entire library.