Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Fine tune video position, zoom, overscan, etc.?

Hello. I am just getting my first K system up and running and have a few noob questions.

Is it possible to fine tune the video output of the DV-700 player? I would like to adjust the video position, zoom, overscan, etc. I have a 100" 16:9 screen and projector and notice that the location of the video is not consistent across all movies. On titles that are 1.85 AR there are small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The top bar is smaller than the bottom. Also there can be small bars on the left or right side of the video depending on title. For 1.78 AR titles, the video generally fills the screen vertically, but some also have a small vertical black bar on the left or right side. For 2.35 and 2.40 AR titles, I find that only a few have the slight vertical bars.

It would be nice if there would be some way to adjust the video to eliminate these artifacts even if it requires slight cropping of the image.
Old 1 Week Ago

Sounds like you need to enable over scan on your projector and zoom out slightly. Most protectors will have a 2.5 and or 5% option (if not fully adjustable)
Old 1 Week Ago

I do have my projector framed properly for other sources in my system and the kaleidescape UI itself is framed properly. So It seems like it would need to be an adjustment for the video playback itself.
Old 1 Week Ago

I found the GO_CALIBRATE_MASKING_OVERSCAN option. It was helpful
Old 5 Days Ago

In messing around with the overscan problem, I also determined that there are some older DVDs that have the wrong aspect ratio set in K's database. For example, the first edition DVD of Top Gun- K identifies it as 1.85 AR in the menu. But if you go look at the IMDB page, the film is clearly done in 2.39. It looks fine when playing the disc in an actual player, but since the K thinks it is 1.85, it is stretching it vertically causing small black bars at the top and bottom in addition to making everyone look very tall.
Old 5 Days Ago

Your original post had Austin Powers. The r1 release is cropped per the director from the original 2.35:1 to a 2:1. The tiny black bars at the top and bottom are correct (if you are R1)

My Top Gun you are correct identifies as 1.85, but the movie correctly plays in 2.3x with large black bars at the top and bottom.

Kscape can stretch video of you incorrectly tell it you have a 2.35 setup, what are your settings under video-aspect ratio? This needs to be set to 16x9 with your 16x9 screen setup.

Kevin D.
Old 5 Days Ago

Yes I had original said AP. It is a really old DVD so I can see how it would be cropped weird. It is one of those discs that had widescreen on one side and full screen on the other. I suppose I have never played the disc on my projector before so I guess I expected too much. A screenshot of my settings is attached. I think it is set correctly.

I think the moral of this story is that really old DVDs may have unacceptable results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k-settings.jpg (168.4 KB, 5 views)