Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default When cinema one goes pop!

Hi, working cinema one / 120, tripped my whole house. Iím assuming at least it was this that tripped it as now it is completely dead and wonít turn on at all. Never ever have I had something die on me like that before; any ideas on cause or how to fix?

Is it possible something shorted? Or likely the PSU? Any way to check if the PSU is still functional? Perhaps a multimeter?

The way these things are stuffed inside, taking it apart really isnít something Iím looking forward to! Haha.

(& a broken, first gen, Cinema One / KS120 - anyone got a spare PSU? :-p)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Should add, the unit has quite a bit of damage on one corner where it appears to have been dropped in shipping. I’m presuming this won’t have helped it but it was working hence why keen to try and fix it or at least root cause for my own geekiness :-)

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Pictures? When did it pop? Right when plugged in? I am going to guess it is the power supply and the motherboard is ok, but that's just a guess.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

No, was running and then the power in the house tripped. It hasn’t been able to turn on since. There was no actual “pop”, least that I’m aware of, that was just a figure of speech, I was in the other room, looking at the browser.

Will try and load some pics later

Cheers

Old 1 Week Ago

When my 1U server went pop and blew the main circuit breaker in the house it was the power supply. In my case there was a definite 'bang' as the lights went out.

Chris
Old 1 Week Ago

Last edited by Vodder; 1 Week Ago at 07:24 AM. Reason: Message didn’t format correctly
Old 1 Week Ago

It is rather disturbing that any small computer device like a k component would trip the main breaker in your home. I guess at this point if it were mine, I would assume the power supply is dead and try to exchange it with one that is known to work. On the 1u server for example, it uses what is essentially a mini ATX power supply. But the connectors are the same as a larger unit, so a larger one can be temporarily connected with the cover off for troubleshooting purposes. I am not sure about the 1st gen cinema one, but it is probably similar.
Old 1 Week Ago

I would be surprised if the 1st gen C1 uses the same power supply as 1U since it it is also a player and has to be has a DVD/CD Reader in order to play discs for import along with the 4 disc drives (much smaller capacity but probably same or more power requirements do to older technology).

John

ETA: I found the data sheets that include typical power:

1U: 66W (typical)
C1: 84W (typical)

https://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-cont...-1u-server.pdf

https://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-cont...Cinema-One.pdf

Last edited by JohnJ; 1 Week Ago at 10:07 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago

This is the message I tried to post when the site was having a moment...

Thanks Chris, sounds very similar! Anyone know how to fix a PSU in the UK? Or at least root cause it? I have a multi meter somewhere.

There’s a link to a company in the threads which sounds positive but seems to be US only

Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks AlienWarlock /JohnJ. Yeah, I’ma little surprised too that it would cause everything to trip but then reading all the historical issues with PSUs I’m not surprised. I don’t think I’ve ever had or known a PSU to go pop in all my 20 years in IT. Least not consumer grade. I’ve had many a server one blow.

Typically I never thought to try a micro ATX PSU, I’ve got two here and a couple of older ones too from some of my old PCs. Unit is at my other place so I’ll have to wait until I’m next there.

I’d be interested in root causing it just incase there’s a wider issue