Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Alternatives to Kaleidescape

Old Apr 2nd, 2018

Default Oppo Digital to gradually stop manufacturing new products.

This just came out. OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products.

https://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
Old Apr 2nd, 2018

Well that’s not great news but bolsters the Strato’s position.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018

I like my BDP103, and the 981HD that came before it. But I like my K system more! Still it is sad to see the end coming for this manufacturer of quality HT equipment.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018

Not really that surprising. I don't know their financials, but I always wondered about their sales in the mainstream market. Great following among enthusiasts, mostly those that frequent AV related forums, but unfortunately even though they managed to get access to some retail chains, the average buyers still favored the known brands from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and others. Although their players provided more, and arguably better, functions (i.e. audio options, etc), these were unrecognized, or not needed in the average system. Their pricing models didn't help.

That said, it's interesting that they indicate they will continue to service all the units still under warranty, and continue to provide firmware updates. If that remains true going forward, they must be moving into some new venture that will allow them to remain "open" for business. I guess we'll see.

Jim
Old Apr 4th, 2018

Im buying a few extra to have as backups. They are so good!
Old Apr 4th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
Not really that surprising. I don't know their financials, but I always wondered about their sales in the mainstream market. Great following among enthusiasts, mostly those that frequent AV related forums, but unfortunately even though they managed to get access to some retail chains, the average buyers still favored the known brands from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and others. Although their players provided more, and arguably better, functions (i.e. audio options, etc), these were unrecognized, or not needed in the average system. Their pricing models didn't help.

That said, it's interesting that they indicate they will continue to service all the units still under warranty, and continue to provide firmware updates. If that remains true going forward, they must be moving into some new venture that will allow them to remain "open" for business. I guess we'll see.

Jim
Apparently their core business is 'cell phones' and they are going to concentrate on that side of the business.

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but there's a great Q&A at the bottom of this article, which explains the reasoning behind the decision - http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-announc...-new-products/
Old Apr 6th, 2018

Your post is fine, not breaking any rules, we have no problem with references to other forums.

Jim
Old Apr 6th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Im buying a few extra to have as backups. They are so good!
The 205 is already out of stock...
Old Apr 6th, 2018

I'm just glad I took advantage of the 30 day return policy when I had the chance last year. I wasn't all that impressed with the 203, especially with all of the early issues it had. The 205 is a slightly better unit, but neither lived up to the historical reputation of being significantly better than all other players in the market, IMO. They are very good, but so are the players from their major competitors.

Jim
Old Apr 6th, 2018

Yes but the Oppo does something many don't. (decoding).