Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Alternatives to Kaleidescape

Old Jan 18th, 2013

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question regarding scrolling speeds and how they work with the remote. I am wondering if there are infinite sets of speeds depending on how quickly your press the button or if there are two speeds, a button press and a button hold? If you need more information or this doesn't make sense then let me know and I will try and clear it up a bit.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Hi there.

Just read this with great interest. Looking through your posts it seems you are not interested in sharing the source code as to how you made that interface, but I wondered whether you could provide some guidance/links/anything as to how you made it?

cheers,
JT
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtonthebike View Post
Hi there.

Just read this with great interest. Looking through your posts it seems you are not interested in sharing the source code as to how you made that interface, but I wondered whether you could provide some guidance/links/anything as to how you made it?

cheers,
JT
Hey JT,

One of the things I have thought of is making video tutorials of how to code something similar to this (not this one exactly), but something that would give you the skills to create this yourself if you wanted. I would teach you how to set up a database, how to write a program to automatically rip your movies when your system detects a movie in your dvd-player, how to embed vlc and anything else you might need. If enough people leave interest in wanting tutorials (possibly paid tutorials) then I will think about creating them. That said, if you ever have any questions for me I will always answer with the best of my knowledge. I love to help out fellow developers and do-it-yourselfers.

-Andrew
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Hi Andrew,

My current media server is an ubuntu box and now lots has been ripped to it, it primarily just sits as a simple server (NFS shares to an xbmc box) and i'm keeping my eye out on the used market for kaleidescape systems, but they're still pretty darn pricey - worth it thought IMO.

But for the sheer entertainment factor, I'd love to be able to put together something similar.

What backend db does it use?
what tool(s) did you code the GUI in?

Happy to discuss something further re: video tutorials. Are you a developer by trade?

thanks for the swift reply,
JT
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Jt,

I wrote my own backend database. What happens is when you put a dvd in, it will get all the information for you while ripping your movie to your hard drive. You can also just pick a movie and get the information for it if it already exists on your hard drive. The program is written with WPF using C#. I am a developer by trade and this has been a project I've wanted to do on my free time for quite some time and I'm finally getting around to doing it. Ideally at the end, it will function identical to kscape. Would video tutorials be something you would be interested in?

-Andrew
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Hi.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in seeing some tutorial vids, so long as the cost isn't prohibitive, maybe I could offer you something in return? (think automation stuff) though maybe take that bit to PM?

But in short, yes, i'd be interested in learning more.
JT
Old Jan 21st, 2013

Awesome!

I would like to see how many more people are interested in this to see if it's worth my time to make them.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013

Default I am interested

I love what you've done and would be great to learn from you.

Thanks,

Bart
Old Jan 22nd, 2013

Default RE: I am intersted

Thanks for letting me know you're interested Bart. I will be coming up with a plan for doing video tutorials on DIY media players. Stay tuned for more information.

-Andrew
Old Feb 9th, 2013

Default Interested

Count me in as well. Very impressive work.

Tags
alternative, kaleidescape, kaleidescape alternative, kaleidescape clone, media center