Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Alternatives to Kaleidescape

Old Apr 4th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
And they still call this just a "hobby"... I wonder what happens when they decide its an actual business...
I'm pretty sure that the "Apple TV" is the game. The current puck is merely a placeholder, a non invasive litmus test for the next iPod/Ipad ???? journey.

A product strategy that continues the enormously successful evolutionary technological path through a revolutionary quantum leap in an appliance that just works........... Apple has the economic power to create a new Bentley with a significantly reduced selling price.

I for one can hardly wait....

Peter
Old Apr 4th, 2012

I expect Apple TV will provide a mass market solution that will give the "higher end" plenty to think about.

Fascinating to think of what may be available in 5yrs time.
Old Apr 5th, 2012

Oh I agree, my statement was a bit tongue in cheek- but-- officially Apple still refers to the Apple TV as a hobby.
Old Apr 8th, 2012

Sort of off-topic, but I wanted to ask....

If I buy an 'album' through the iTunes store, I am entitled to make a hard copy to put on my shelf, so to speak. If I take that and then attempt to import it to Kaleidescape, would it work as if I purchased the CD at Best Buy? I could try it, but I was just wondering....

Thanks, Steven
Old Apr 8th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Sort of off-topic, but I wanted to ask....

If I buy an 'album' through the iTunes store, I am entitled to make a hard copy to put on my shelf, so to speak. If I take that and then attempt to import it to Kaleidescape, would it work as if I purchased the CD at Best Buy? I could try it, but I was just wondering....

Thanks, Steven
I asked a similar question in the past, and yes. I buy from amazon, burn to cdrw and import.
Old Apr 9th, 2012

I don't know about the legal side of this but when you burn it to the disc what happens to the audio files is the lossy data is expanded to the data that CD players read. When you go to import it to the Kscape, so long as the table of contents of the new burned album is the same as whats in the database, it will be recognized. If its different, then it won't. Thats how it knows the data for the CDs. When you go to play it back the sound quality will be no better than that when played back from the computer because the data is generated from the lossy file. With most pop and new rock music now days Im not so sure if you'd notice the difference between a good iTunes encode and what you get on the CD. But I still buy the CDs when its an album I want. When its a track here and there what I do is I have an apple TV plugged into my whole house audio system and I just stream the music off my phone to that. The sound quality isn't as good but when Im listening to some top 40 song that Ill forget in a few weeks it doesn't really matter. (to me-- very much)
Old Nov 27th, 2012

Default AppleTV vs. Kal

I have both and use them both.
My preference is still with Kaleidescape
For user interface and quality, but have to
admit that Apple TV has become the device of
great convenience. Specially for a quick
movie with friends or impulse watching.
Old Dec 4th, 2012

Well if AppleTv or Google get more powerful, Kaleidescape might have to come down on there price.